PDA

View Full Version : how to set up surround sound?

powerover
21-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi there guys,

I have 2 sets of 2.1 channel speakers, so in theorey, i can set up 4.2 surround sound??

My mobo supports 7.1 surround sound I think.

I plug my main set into the green socket (front) then plug my secondary set into the grey socket (rear). when using itunes, only the front speaker works and that got me concerned, I was expecting all 4 to be firing up.

Is the a driver issue or itunes?? I really want to play Crysis on surround sound... :P I got sort of confused as to which socket I should plug which set of speakers into....there are front, front left right, surround left right, and rear left right, too many choices....

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :D

jareemon
21-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Have you tried checking your motherboard manual or maybe checking the speaker settings in control panel? Windows needs to know that you have '5.1' (even though you're missing the center speaker

:pf1mobmini:

jareemon
21-05-2011, 08:51 PM
You probably need one set in front left right and one set in rear left right

powerover
22-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Windows needs to know that you have '5.1' (even though you're missing the center speaker

I thought things will jst plug and play these days?? Control panel is a good place to start actually...thanks :D

wainuitech
22-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I plug my main set into the green socket (front) then plug my secondary set into the grey socket (rear). when using itunes, only the front speaker works and that got me concerned, I was expecting all 4 to be firing up. By default, if the front panel speakers are plugged in they often kill the rear, this is so if you normally have speakers that everyone hears, and plug in a headset in the front, Thus making it private.

Usually you can change the behavior under the audio settings.

tmrafi
23-05-2011, 01:05 PM
First things first.
The Front input and Rear input are Independent. You cant mix and match
If you want 4 channel output, you should plug in both speaker sets to rear connectors.
Then in Windows Sound Control Panel, you have to mention that you have quadraphonic speakers (4 channel) not 5.1
After all this, you still wont get sound out of all speakers in iTunes, because the source audio is only 2 channel to start with. There are other players such as foobar2000, media player classic, etc that can use Matrix Audio Plugins. Matrix Audio Plugin maps the two channels on to 4 or 5.1 speakers and only then you will get sound out of all speakers when playing setero AAC or MP3 files

dugimodo
23-05-2011, 02:20 PM
A bit of confusion here I think. Firstly they would be outputs, not inputs and also some people seem to be referring to the position of the connectors on the pc (ie front/rear of the case) and others to the various connectors on the back of the case - which are generally designated front, rear, surround etc.

Centre = front middle speaker and may be labelled front - required for 5.1
Front (L,R) is the normal front stero speakers - required for stereo and all other setups
Surround (L,R) = side surround speakers for 7.1
Rear (L,R) = rear speakers required for 4ch, 5.1. 7.1
Sub (LFE) is the .1 or subwoofer channel, 2.1 setups usually don't use this and split the bass frequencies in the speakers using just the L,R connectors

Generally the Front and Line in appear at the back of the case and also on the front, the rest usually only appear on the rear of the case.

As pointed out you can't get 5.1 with 4 speakers and two subwoofers but you can get 4 channel. By Default Windows 7 will not use the rear speakers unless using a source with rear sound and a compatible player as Tmrafi mentioned.

powerover
23-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reply guys I think it was my fault that some of us got confused...so please allow me to try again..

I plugged both sets of speakers to the REAR of my computer...the sockets that are part of my mobo.....

the first set is plugged into the green socket (labeled FRONT) by the VIA High Definition Audio (the audio driver I guess) and the second set is plugged into the gray socket (labeled REAR)....

I can not find any options in control panel to tell windows that I have quadraphonic speakers....I also can't find any options to set up surround sound when I fire up the VIA hi-def driver user interface.......

I tried and play Crysis warhead, nothing comes out of those rear speakers...i thought crysis have 5.1 surround sound???

it is quite logical to think that I must be able to configure windows to have 4.1 surround sound somewhere....but where?? how??

Thanks for the input guys. :D keep it up :thumbs:

wainuitech
24-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Try this -- Windows 7 Start, Control Panel - Sound - Playback Tab, click the speaker- bottom left, Configure ( see attachment) You can change the arrangement, on the right will be a picture and different speakers will show for different settings - theres also a test option for them.

powerover
24-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Try this -- Windows 7 Start, Control Panel - Sound - Playback Tab, click the speaker- bottom left, Configure ( see attachment) You can change the arrangement, on the right will be a picture and different speakers will show for different settings - theres also a test option for them.

:clap:punk

Thanks wainuitech!! yeah :D