PDA

View Full Version : Internal DVD Drive

Guillaume
20-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a W Super Ritemaster DVD internal drive with which I'm having problems. The drive appears in Windows Explorer only intermittently and does not show up at all in "Devices and printers" or "Device Manager" or "Control Panel" and does not display in Belarc Advisor.

I take the 'W' to denote Western Digital, but a drive of this description is not listed on their website.

I have updated all my drivers using DriverFinder, but this has no effect on the DVD drive.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Are you using a program like daemontools or any Roxio programs? These can stuff cds/dvds up

Guillaume
20-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Neither...

wratterus
20-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Driver finder etc are never a good idea, 99% of the time they cause more problems than they solve, and as a general rule a driver update isn't going to help fix a DVD drive issue. So the drive isn't showing up at all in the device manager, under DVD/CD-Rom Drives?

If it's showing up in device manager only intermittently or not at all, then more than likely it's a hardware issue. Are you comfortable with reseating plugs inside your PC's case?

feersumendjinn
20-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Have you tried this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

As Wratterus said, optical (and hard) drives generally dont need driver updates as they are built into your operating system, more likely to be defective hardware/loose connections/registry problems etc.

Guillaume
20-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Thank you gentlemen -- logical suppose. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow. Many thanks...

Guillaume
21-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Bingo! I unplugged both the data cable and the power supply and reinserted them with studied care, to be rewarded by the DVD drive appearing in both explorer and device manager.

I replaced the DVD drive about a year ago and evidently did not take enough care when installing the cables.

Many thanks to both...

wratterus
21-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Good to hear.

bot
21-05-2011, 01:35 PM
it amazes me how many times that comes up... Had a client a few moths ago that was complaining that her computer was saying insert system disk etc. When i opened the comp up the hd cable had come out. Popped it back in, worked good as new.

:pf1mobmini:

feersumendjinn
21-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Excellent.