PDA

View Full Version : Startup hang?

EviLClouD
17-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi guys, quick question.
For the past few weeks my computer hangs on this screen when starting up.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1998/img0086p.jpg

And after a few restarts or turning switch off/on wall, all is good.
What i'm wondering is why this is occuring and is it a sign of motherboard failure?

Thanks in advance

Comp is
Q9450
Gigabyte ex38-dq6
WD Black HD
8800GTS 512MB
Windows 7 Pro

wainuitech
17-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Haven't got any USB drives plugged in have you? SWMBO sometimes leaves her E-reader plugged in and then her PC does similar.

What you can check / have a look at, click start, type in eventvwr, open event viewer from the results, look through the windows logs, mainly the System, look to see if there are any clumps of errors/warnings - if so what are they ?

You can also look at the Reliability history, by clicking start, type in reli, open the history, look for errors, warnings and see what they say. Since it hangs more on startup, you may find the event viewer may give better results.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2011, 09:47 PM
If thats the logo / splash screen, disable it in the BIOS. Then see what it says. It maybe having probs detecting something. I wouldnt turn it on / off at the wall all the time. Sooner, or later, you'll corrupt something

EviLClouD
17-05-2011, 09:50 PM
No usb drives plugged in nor anything in cd drive.
Event viewer shows no errors today when the problem occured. However it does show 2 errors from yesterday

EVENT ID - 15|Source - cdrom|The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet.
EVENT ID - 11|Source - atapi|The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

Not too sure if those errors are related to this problem as I had no issues with freezing yesterday. Last time comp froze on startup was about a week a go.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Does it have a SATA cd or dvd? If it does, try plugging it into another SATA port. Or does the BIOS detect it (in the port its plugged into now)?