PDA

View Full Version : more overclocking questions...

06-10-2001, 07:25 PM
thank you to every one who replied to my post, but can't you guys just get serious, i am thankful, but i don't really like people who do that. anyway, what happens if when i make it go faster and it fires (breaks/stops)? can i change it back and make it go again? i DO NOT want to buy anymore of those trademe things. i have 32 edo ram by the way, what i want is for somebody who is serious to give me a answer/suggestion to should i go anymore? is a pentium 75 capable of going up that much to 133 or 166?

for those who haven't seen my perious post it went:

hi i have a microstar MS-5124 motherboard with a intel pentium 75Mhz model SZ994 cpu chip. at the moment i've overclocked it to 100? but i'm wondering if it's possible to go any further 150? 133? 150? I want to overclock without buying things such as larger heat sinks and other things. but most importantly, i would like it to be stable. hopefully, it'll be ok going the maximum the motherboard supports (which is 166). if not then what can i go up to?

Thanks

06-10-2001, 07:41 PM
No, the processor is not capable of going to 166, even with heatsinks etc.

06-10-2001, 07:43 PM
ok ,then will it be capable of 120? 133? 150? thanks

06-10-2001, 08:53 PM
If you fry the processor, then it will be dead.
If it dies badly it will probably kill your motherboard as well.

133Mhz is almost double the clock rate. Even a Celeron 300a couldn't take an increase that big, even with expensive cooling.

06-10-2001, 10:32 PM
Hi SY
As posted before, what you need is perspective. In terms of technology what you have is a Morris Minor, perfectly good for day to day tasks that arn't too demanding, BUT sticking a high volume turbo unit on it will NOT bring it up to todays class of car, and more than likley BLOW IT UP. Your best bet is to make it the best Morris Minor you can. Tune the OS, get some more RAM when you can afford it, optimize your BIOS settings, find all the tweakes that really work. My AMD 266 works faster than most of computers I come across purely because I have tuned it up and get rid of all the rubbish Windows accumulates. It does take patience and research, but you get to understand your machine and how it works! Give it a go.(excuse the mixed metaphors.)

07-10-2001, 02:51 PM
Peter,
Although I learned to drive in a Morris Minor, your analogy is good. No use having a V8 going at 6000rpm if the gearbox, diff, and wheels are standard. Will probably just wreck the other bits really quickly.
S Y - I think you have probably got as much useful information from this forum. Perhaps you can consult other parts of the web and come back to us when you have developed the first 500MHz space heater.