chiefnz
16-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi guys,

Current config...

Windows 7 Pro X64
Core2Duo E8400
2 x 250GB Seagate drives in a RAID0 mirror
4GB RAM

I want to move to solid state drives in the next few months.

So what I'm thinking about doing is....

Buy 1 SSD and replacing 1 of the existing drives in the mirror for it.

What I need to know is...
If I do replace one of the existing SATA drives with a SSD will the mirror be rebuilt the same way as if I used a normal disk?

And if it did work I would assume that installing a 2nd SSD the mirror would rebuild as per normal process.

Thanks,

ronyville
16-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi guys,

Current config...

Windows 7 Pro X64
Core2Duo E8400
2 x 250GB Seagate drives in a RAID0 mirror
4GB RAM

Raid 0 is not mirror, Raid 1 is :p but getting back to the issue, yes i would expect the raid to rebuild itself. Not sure what Raid software you are using but i have seen a few where you have to make sure that the option to rebuilt is select under settings.

chiefnz
16-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Raid 0 is not mirror, Raid 1 is :p but getting back to the issue, yes i would expect the raid to rebuild itself. Not sure what Raid software you are using but i have seen a few where you have to make sure that the option to rebuilt is select under settings.

Sorry my typo it is a RAID 1 setup and it is hardware based on the P35 chipset (Intel Matrix Storage Technology supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10)

Thanks,

somebody
17-05-2011, 08:36 AM
In theory this would work - we have done something similar but with mixed disk sizes on a server at work. You'd have to check your specific RAID controller to see whether it'll cope with this sort of scenario as a desktop grade RAID may not have the same feature set as a server grade RAID controller.

SolMiester
17-05-2011, 10:10 AM
In theory this would work - we have done something similar but with mixed disk sizes on a server at work. You'd have to check your specific RAID controller to see whether it'll cope with this sort of scenario as a desktop grade RAID may not have the same feature set as a server grade RAID controller.

I think unless you are talking of P800 multi channel controllers with their own chip, most of today ghetto raid solutions are quiet fast due mostly to the CPU in the motherboard, and most have a least 1 parity array option. None though come with battery backup for caching....

Chief, I wouldnt bother with the mirror, this will only bring the SSD performance down to the level of your disk partner. What would be the point.

I would start again and use the mirror array for fault tolerance for your important data!

Alex B
17-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah I don't see a RAID being the best option. Buy a copy of shadow protect desktop edition and use that to back up to your 250gb drive.

Agent_24
17-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Just make sure you still have a good backup solution...

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html

nmercer
17-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd be surprised if this works :)

chiefnz
17-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys, will reconsider the options.