PDA

View Full Version : New mobo,CPU,RAM, on HP with XP Home.

b....
14-05-2011, 06:36 PM
The motherboard on my HP desktop has died.
It is an OEM ASUS board with NVIDIA graphics etc, Sempron, and DDR2 RAM.

The local computer shop has an upgrade package with a Gigabyte motherboard(ATI), AM3 AthlonII X2 255, and DDR3 RAM.

They tell me that the installed HP version of XP Home will "probably" load ok and not need reinstalling. It will just need reactivating. I am not sure about this. I also believe that the restore partition on the hard drive will not be any use either because of all the different components.

What are your thoughts on this?

wainuitech
14-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Its 50/50 as to what will happen.

Sometimes when a new board is installed, if close enough, it will boot up, ask for the drivers, you point them to the Driver CD, or windows auto detects and installs some and away you go.

Other times it will start to boot, then instantly BSOD - :( "if" this happens you can "sometimes" get away with a Repair install from a Standard XP CD,use the COA on the case- load in the new drivers etc, other times it simply wont work no matter what you do.

It then requires a fresh full install, with a standard XP CD, using the COA on the case.This is actually the better option as theres no crap left over from the previous install.

The restore partition you have is simply taking up space, it will be for the old board, with the old drivers.

The local computer shop has an upgrade package with a Gigabyte motherboard -------- They tell me that the installed HP version of XP Home will "probably" load ok and not need reinstalling. It will just need reactivating. What the hell type of PC repairer are they -- cowboys by the sounds as of it, unless you told them only to replace the board and do nothing else -- Giving back a PC to the customer only half done :confused: That has a HIGH potential to be a total failure :groan: and YOU have to fix it --- frigging idiots.

wainuitech
14-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Edited to above ( time ran out) , Just re-read the post, if I had to take a guess - it wont work - the original Board had Nvidia, the new one ATI -- theres a high chance there will be a clash of drivers.

b....
14-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks Wainuitech.
It surprised me when they told me XP wouldn't need reinstalling. I would prefer a clean reinstall to get rid of the old components and junk accumulated in the four years I have had it.

I was also wondering whether to remove the 80GB IDE drive and fit a bigger SATA one.

How long does a reinstall take, and what do shops usually charge for this?

PENTIUM
14-05-2011, 08:43 PM
If the hard drive is not crook, it ought to be possible to crank it all up with a replacement MOBO and DDR3. Wainui know this too. Eh!

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2011, 08:47 PM
What died exactly? If the BIOS died depending on what the mobo is it may support crashfree BIOS. And can be fixed

wainuitech
14-05-2011, 08:56 PM
If the hard drive is not crook, it ought to be possible to crank it all up with a replacement MOBO and DDR3. Wainui know this too. Eh! Yes I know it, BUT read what I put originally, its 50/50.

Anyone who thinks they will automatically accept a new board is kidding themselves, and obviously has not had much experience in these matters.

I have seen so called experts who have worked on one or two computers (literally) and think they know all the pit falls.

There have been times a new board goes in, and it works other times it wont. You simply have to try and see what happens.

Got a customers PC here at the moment, blown Gigabyte Motherboard - tried to get her data off the easier way, by using one of my workshop PC's.
Both have Gigabyte Boards, and hers simply blue screens when trying to load, wont even boot into safe mode, so I'm having to slave the drive instead.

wainuitech
14-05-2011, 09:37 PM
How long does a reinstall take, and what do shops usually charge for this? New drives are cheap these days, you can get 1TB (1024GB) for around the $100 area. An example (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=392366)

As for time - theres no set time, it depends on the Speed of the PC as well, but if you allow 1 hour for OS install and drivers, (using quick format options in the menu). Then depending on updates / speed of internet maybe another hour. (these times are only VERY rough).

As for charges from shops -- that also depends on the shop.
some charge by the hour, some have a set charge which can range from $60 - $200. (and depends on what they do as well) common charges are $92-$161, to install windows, all updates and put data back.

if you wanted to do it your self its not hard, you only need to ask and people here can help you if unsure about any step. :)

Then of course theres the data, that has to be put back, unless the person can do that themselves, and install what ever programs they want.

sahilcc7
14-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I rebuilt a PC reusing parts (HDD, PSU) and new CPU, Motherboard, got a bsod as expected.

pctek
15-05-2011, 08:54 AM
They tell me that the installed HP version of XP Home will "probably" load ok and not need reinstalling.

What are your thoughts on this?

They are "probably" right.

Sometimes you can get away with just changing the drivers and sometimes you can't.
Probably it will work.

wainuitech
15-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Still think they are a bunch of cowboys -- What "good Repair place" gives back a PC, only half done, and leaves the customer to finish it off, (unless instructed to do so from the customer) with the possibility of total failure and needing a complete reinstall ? Why not finish the job :groan:

b....
15-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The problem started with intermittant black screens that got longer and more frequent over a few days. The computer was still running in the background when the screen returned. I tried another monitor but still the same.
Then started getting USB issues on startup, reinstall webcam, hub etc. Screen finally went black all the time.

Took it to shop to try a graphics card instead of onboard. When I told them of black screens they asked if it had developed any USB issues. When I said yes they said that it would more likely be the motherboard. They tried a card, resetting BIOS, and a few other things without any luck.

When I picked it up they said the cheapest option would be to try to find a motherboard that would take my existing Sempron and RAM.
They offered the upgrade package when I asked about other options. Price seemed good, but the XP reinstall comment took me by surprise.

I have taken the computer home until I decide what to do.
Would love to buy the components and do it myself, but don't have a XP Home cd.

SolMiester
16-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Both boards have AMD chipsets which is the 1st issue, VGA drivers arent too important....I think the new board will boot in safe mode, id then use the add\remove programs and uninstall any old drivers from the old build....

As WT said, I cant believe a repair shop would leave the job half done!

tmrafi
16-05-2011, 03:15 PM
In my experience, XP will definitely NOT work. The XP Key would be an OEM HP Key which expects HP BIOS, would not validate on a "Gigabyte" motherboard.

Agent_24
16-05-2011, 03:31 PM
There should be ways around that kind of thing in software - although depending on your point of view not necessarily legal - though in my opinion if you have a real COA (even OEM) and you're only using the OS on one computer it's not as if you are really doing anything too bad.

As for your actual hardware problem, I would say the nvidia chipset has died, certain model lines a couple years ago are known to have big problems, all will eventually break.

If you got issues with the USB too though I would also look at the PSU. HP has been known to use certain Bestek PSUs which have a design issue - as certain capacitors fail in the 5vSB power circuit, the 5vSB rail starts climbing, sometimes going over 16 volts - this ends up in a dead motherboard and anything that was connected to the USB. (although your system sounds a bit too new for that particular PSU model)

Of course replacing the capacitors fixes the PSU but they are pretty pathetic anyway and ultimately should not be used.

If you are upgrading you should probably get a better PSU anyway - you may wish to consider a new case also, some of the HP cases are pathetic especially for cooling - although some are just fine.

wainuitech
16-05-2011, 03:53 PM
If the Gigabyte board is installed, just one thing to check before its fired up. Make sure the wiring for the front USB connector /ports is in the correct order.

The wiring should be two rows of Red/White/Green/Black.

There has been a few times when I have changed out boards, that HP have wired up the plugs differently.
Trust me its not nice when you plug in a USB device -and it gets hot instantly, then the smoke comes out :crying due to incorrect wiring on the USB port.

Doesn't happen often - but check.

Agent_24
16-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Good to know... I even bought a cheapish case once where the ports had been done wrong in the factory - one of them had the data lines swapped. Luckily all it meant was that when I plugged anything Windows said "This device has malfunctioned" but nothing was damaged.

I make sure I check the wiring on ports on new cases, now - (would not be good if the power rails were backwards!)

dugimodo
16-05-2011, 04:55 PM
yes, the smoke is critical and must never be let out. Things don't work without it.

Agent_24
16-05-2011, 05:03 PM
You have to give credit to those clever component manufacturers for being able to get that magic smoke inside in the first place!

pctek
16-05-2011, 06:19 PM
In my experience, XP will definitely NOT work. The XP Key would be an OEM HP Key which expects HP BIOS, would not validate on a "Gigabyte" motherboard.

Yes it does.

But where does the shop say they weren't doing the O/S reinstall? I read that they just advised it might have to be a fresh install as the driver update might not work.

wainuitech
16-05-2011, 07:34 PM
But where does the shop say they weren't doing the O/S reinstall? I read that they just advised it might have to be a fresh install as the driver update might not work. From original post :D

They tell me that the installed HP version of XP Home will "probably" load ok and not need reinstalling. It will just need reactivating.