PDA

View Full Version : Random PC shutdown !!!

bobdog66
13-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello.. some ideas required. Windows XP Pro sp2 on an intel core 2 6320 2 gb ram. My PC has been behaving randomly. Will work fine for about 15-30 mins, then I hear an increase (in what I think is) fan speed, then a total shutdown and reboot. I have no unusual software that I can think of, and scan every day with AVG free edition (courtesy of the fine folk at PC world). I've checked with the Intel desktop utilities for unusual voltage spikes, overheating etc, but can't seem to see any problems. Any ideas please?

wratterus
13-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Install speedfan and see what temp the CPU is running at.

Also right click on 'My Computer' and click properties, go to the advanced tab, then startup and recovery and make sure automatically restart is unticked. if its bluescreening then the message will stay up on the screen rather than the Pc restarting.

bobdog66
13-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Cheers. Will try those options and see if any more info is forthcoming.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Disable auto-restart. Install bluescreenview run it. What does it say is the cause?? It sounds like its crashing

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html. I would also install SP3 after this has been fixed. Disable Speedstep and CIE in the BIOS. Whats the brand / model of the mobo?

bobdog66
13-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok. Motherboard is Intel desktop DG33BU. Have seen some spikes in cpu die graph on speedfan up to 62deg Celcius. Basic speedfan display says cpu die @ 56deg, (hot fire icon!) ICH 93 deg C, MCH 80 deg C. does this sound too hot???? Has been stable since I posted initially, so that's a cpuple of hours :-). However I've not actually been doing any processor-intensive work on it.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Did you run bluescreenview?

bobdog66
13-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Did you run bluescreenview?

Yes, but it's only found some old dmp files from a year ago, nothing recent, problems with USB drivers..Funny, had USB problems on my last Intel box too....

pctek
13-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Basic speedfan display says cpu die @ 56deg, (hot fire icon!) ICH 93 deg C, MCH 80 deg C.

Well it certainly thinks so.
Take it apart and clean out fluff and dust, make sure you check in HSF fins etc.

wratterus
13-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok. Motherboard is Intel desktop DG33BU. Have seen some spikes in cpu die graph on speedfan up to 62deg Celcius. Basic speedfan display says cpu die @ 56deg, (hot fire icon!) ICH 93 deg C, MCH 80 deg C. does this sound too hot???? Has been stable since I posted initially, so that's a cpuple of hours :-). However I've not actually been doing any processor-intensive work on it.

Go into the BIOS if you can and check under hardware monitoring/pc health. See what the temps there say, and if they agree with speedfan. Thats unusually warm.

bobdog66
13-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Go into the BIOS if you can and check under hardware monitoring/pc health. See what the temps there say, and if they agree with speedfan. Thats unusually warm.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Will check.

lakewoodlady
13-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Is there some reason why it doesn't have SP3 installed?

LL

bobdog66
14-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Usual story, soon as I ask about a problem, it seems to go away. Thanks for all the help tho...