PDA

View Full Version : CPU Cooler

bk T
13-05-2011, 10:49 AM
My i7 950 is running a little hot with stock cooler. Recommendations for a reasonable (price) third party cooler will be appreciated.

Cheers

SolMiester
13-05-2011, 11:07 AM
CM Hyper 212+ about $39
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=445829

bk T
13-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Looks good and reasonably priced (well within my budget).

Question:

1. How much performance gain (cooling) compared to the Intel stock cooler?

2. How is it being mounted to the MB? Do I have to remove the Motherboard in order to install it? Or, just like the stock cooler with 4 push-in clips? Been to CoolerMaster's website but couldn't get much info re mounting.

Cheers

Gobe1
13-05-2011, 01:19 PM
guy at work here brought one last week has a backing plate for the MB so you will have to remove to install. Recommended any way to stop the weight bending your MB. Cant beat it for value for money

SolMiester
13-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Looks good and reasonably priced (well within my budget).

Question:

1. How much performance gain (cooling) compared to the Intel stock cooler?

2. How is it being mounted to the MB? Do I have to remove the Motherboard in order to install it? Or, just like the stock cooler with 4 push-in clips? Been to CoolerMaster's website but couldn't get much info re mounting.

Cheers

Yeah, as already said the motherboard will need to come out unless you have a really cool case that has a hole in the motherboard plate for such things...
Anyway, half your problems come from the fact the stock cooler has push pins, which dont hold the cooler down well enough.....
As for performance?....before i was idle at around 40-44, and the delta to load was huge, like 40c, now idle at 29, but havent tested the delta....should be around 60

bk T
13-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah, as already said the motherboard will need to come out unless you have a really cool case that has a hole in the motherboard plate for such things...
Anyway, half your problems come from the fact the stock cooler has push pins, which dont hold the cooler down well enough.....
As for performance?....before i was idle at around 40-44, and the delta to load was huge, like 40c, now idle at 29, but havent tested the delta....should be around 60

Thanks SolMiester, you've answered most if not all of my questions. :thanks:thumbs:.

Will get one tomorrow.

trinsic
13-05-2011, 04:09 PM
At that price the Hyper 212+ is an absolute steal. You wont get a better cooler for anything less than $80+

dugimodo
13-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I put the same cooler on my i7 920 when I discovered it was hitting 98 degrees plus on prime 95 testing, now runs in the high 50's on prime 95. Also note if you want to get carried away it comes with brackets to allow a second fan to be attached in a push pull arrangement.

Incidentally it turns out the stock cooler was never attached properly and still I had 18 months of trouble free gaming before I discovered it, the 4th pin refused to click in despite an obscene amount of obscenity fuelled force.

Snorkbox
13-05-2011, 04:20 PM
You will have to scrape off the current thermal paste so I would attach the new cooler and use Arctic silver when doing so. It's better than some other thermal compounds in my opinion.

bk T
13-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Does this CM Hyper 212 cooler come with the thermal paste pre-applied? If it is re-applied, do I need to clean it off and use fresh paste?

jareemon
17-05-2011, 03:19 PM
It probably wont have it pre-applied (it's messy stuff) but it may or may not come with a small tube of it. As mentioned above, go for a tube of arctic silver 5, it's worth the extra cooling efficiency

:pf1mobmini:

SolMiester
17-05-2011, 03:41 PM
It comes with enough in a syringe