PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems with new MB

Jayess64
13-05-2011, 02:20 AM
A week ago I did a MoBo/CPU/RAM upgrade to a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, Intel i5-2400 and 4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM. I use 2 system hard-drives, one with Win7 x64 for real work and the other with Ubuntu 10.10 to play with, that can be quickly changed by mounting them in a Welland SATA swap crate. Three days ago I updated the MoBo firmware to the F3 version.

All ran sweetly until tonight, when I powered down and changed to the Ubuntu drive and restarted. POST ran OK, all drives detected, then at the 'Loading operating system' message the system hung. Went back to the Win7 drive, same thing. Panic started to set in. I moved the Windows drive to an internal bay - no difference. Changed the SATA cable - no go. Tried a different SATA port - no change.

Checked the BIOS - looked OK, but I changed the boot drive order to CD/DVD; HDD; USB-HDD; - previously the HDD had been third in the list. At first there was no change, but after another desperate stab at the reset button, I got a successful startup, followed by another failure. I went back to the BIOS and checked the Hard Disk Boot Priority, and saw that the system drive was last in the list of 3 drives. So I moved it to the top and tried again - success! Since then the system has booted up successfully each time. I have now gone back to the original configuration with the system drive in the swap rack and all is fine.

So what happened? Was the Boot Priority the reason? After I updated the firmware I loaded the 'Optimised Settings', but I don't recall checking the Boot Priority setting, so maybe that is how the order I found came about. But why did it take three days of constant use for the problem to show itself? It didn't start gradually, but manifested itself as a hard failure.

A qualification to that last sentence. Since the upgrade I have noticed that sometimes the initial startup pauses just before the RAM size is reported. The pause can be up to half a minute and then everything proceeds smoothly with no indication of faults or errors. At other times the process goes through quickly with no delays.

If anyone can suggest what was going on, I would like to hear it. The last couple of hours have cost me a good 10 years off my life, and at my age, that's a lot!

pctek
13-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Why did you update the BIOS? You only do that if there is some problem with the current one.

Jayess64
13-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Why did you update the BIOS? You only do that if there is some problem with the current one.

Well, the common advice is "always keep your firmware up to date". In this case the Gigabyte site described the F3 iteration as correcting anomalous behaviour when the reset button is pushed, and certainly I had found that resetting did give results different to what I normally would expect - eg power light goes off, then comes back on. In fact, I am not sure that F3 has made much difference.

dugimodo
13-05-2011, 10:33 AM
I have the same motherboard and I have a removable hard drive dock on a SATA port.

I have noticed if you remove the drive while switched of it often upsets the hard drive boot priority, the BIOS seems to reset the order any time something is missing from the list. Edit: - quite likely it always defaults to the same port so connecting your drive to that port might solve the issue.

So it seems likely to me that the Ubuntu drive had a hiccup or wasn't quite connected properly and from then on your problems were just the boot order as you discovered.

Mildly annoying but no real problem once you know what it is.

Jayess64
13-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I have the same motherboard and I have a removable hard drive dock on a SATA port.

I have noticed if you remove the drive while switched of it often upsets the hard drive boot priority, the BIOS seems to reset the order any time something is missing from the list. Edit: - quite likely it always defaults to the same port so connecting your drive to that port might solve the issue.

So it seems likely to me that the Ubuntu drive had a hiccup or wasn't quite connected properly and from then on your problems were just the boot order as you discovered.

Mildly annoying but no real problem once you know what it is.

Thanks for an interesting observation. I'll keep an eye on that.

pctek
13-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Well, the common advice is "always keep your firmware up to date".

Really? I thought it was Don't Fix It IF It's Not Broken.

Trev
13-05-2011, 04:48 PM
That is one update I leave alone. Stuff it up and you could kiss your computer goodbye. Will do graphics and sound card drivers.
:)

DeSade
13-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree with pctek.
Never update my BIOS unless I have too.

linw
14-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Me, too.