PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown Problem

hsvman12
12-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Hil,

I have just undertaken a rebuild on my PC, upgrading to a sandy bridge 2500k - refer to my post http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=1013138#post1013138 for more details.

I was able to do this without doing a clean install of windows (which is what I wanted). However, the problem I have is when I shut down, the PC will reboot everytime. I have to manually press the power button when it starts to reboot. It's like I have chosen the restart option rather than the shutdown option.

Has anyone encounted the same issue and/or know how to fix?

Cheers

Andrew

wainuitech
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
One possible cause / problem - The problem could be caused simply because you didn't install windows from fresh. changing hardware which is to different can and often does cause all sorts of problems.
The "old" system will still be there, and there could be conflicts between drivers etc.

Have a read of This article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299) see if the suggestions help.

One thing you can try, restart the PC in safe mode - then shut it down as per normal, does it reboot again ?

I have to manually press the power button when it starts to reboot Having to do that will cause problems with hardware and software corrupting if done repeatedly all the time.

hsvman12
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks.

I read the article and de-checked the "automatic restart" under system failure. When I did this and shut down, I got a blue screen to state an error had occured and had "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal".

I've also restarted in safe mode and shut down and it does the same thing.

I've checked device driver and appears that everything is working properly.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Did you install this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582

wainuitech
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Good thats a start,

Now next time it does it, look after the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal there will be a code, something similar to
STOP: 0x000000D1 then in brackets directly after a whole lot of numbers.

The one thats required is the STOP: 0x000000??

Also you can try running Blue screen view (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) when the PC is running normally -- what does it say is the problem.

Theres software clashing somewhere, this could be caused by the non fresh install.
Basically the problem is the PC is actually crashing on shutdown, instead of shutting down normally.

hsvman12
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Sounds like we're getting somewhere.

Ok, the numbers are as follows (hopefully they make sense to you):

0x000000D1 (0x00000000 0x00000002 0x00000000 0xA9B17BB8

BTATHUSB.SYS Add A9b17BB8

Basedt (I think) A9B12000 Date Stamp 4cc3B8FC

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Mcafee isnt on this is it?

A bluetooth driver is crashing. Are you using a bluetooth adapter? If you are, what did you install it from?? A site / windowsupdate / cd?

wainuitech
13-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Looks like it could be the ASUS Atheros Bluetooth driver thats crashing or is corrupted. These will have been installed from the ASUS Driver CD.

What I would do -- First go into the device manager ( right click My Computer/properties/Hardware Tab/ Device manager) Look to see if there are any conflicts or problems, usually indicated by a Question mark ? or ! in a device, ( could be in the USB area) if there are right click uninstall, OR upgrade the drivers - if not then I would go into the control panel, locate the Atheros Bluetooth and uninstall it - reboot, then either install fresh drivers or depending on what happens ( asking for drivers etc) see if it shuts down normally.
you can also try disabling the Atherous Bluetooth in Device Manager, that may be enough.

The blue tooth drivers within windows may be clashing with the ASUS ones.

hsvman12
13-05-2011, 06:08 PM
wainuitech: thanks for your advice. Device manager came up with no issues, so I uninstalled the bluebooth and shut down. It shut down properly. I booted up and then reinstalled from the asus disc (which is where I originally installed them). I rebooted and shutdown a couple of times and it has fixed the problem. So, thank you so much for your help.

Speedy: no, I don't have mcafee and the software and drivers were installed from the asus disk that came with the motherboard. Thanks for your input, as you can see from my response above, with the advice from wainuitech, I've been able to fix the problem.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2011, 06:45 PM
If it crashes again download the drivers from the ASUS site. They maybe later than the ones on the CD

wainuitech
13-05-2011, 06:55 PM
:thumbs: good that its fixed.

hsvman12
13-05-2011, 07:17 PM
If it crashes again download the drivers from the ASUS site. They maybe later than the ones on the CD

Ok, will do. Thanks

hsvman12
13-05-2011, 07:19 PM
:thumbs: good that its fixed.

Thanks again for your help.:banana