PDA

View Full Version : Computer Won't Go.

Trev
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
All I get from my computer after pressing the power on button is one continuous beep. The HD is spinning the fans are going DVD drive is going. Computer specs in sig. Using friends computer.
Thanks.
:(

wratterus
12-05-2011, 11:38 AM
That's no good, sounds like it could be memory (RAM) related Trev or possibly video, I can't find the beep codes for your BIOS right at the moment.

Do you know how to pull the side off the case and remove the memory chips?

What I would do is power the PC off, removed all the RAM chips, reset the BIOS using the jumpers on the board, (to the left of the battery) and then put just one RAM chip back in, and try it again.

wratterus
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Check that the configuration you have your RAM chips in matches what Asus recommend in the manual.

Edit - after looking at the beep codes, it would be well worth pulling out the graphics card and trying the onboard video too.

SolMiester
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Continuous beep? I think that's the graphic card.

Trev
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
That's no good, sounds like it could be memory (RAM) related Trev or possibly video, I can't find the beep codes for your BIOS right at the moment.

Do you know how to pull the side off the case and remove the memory chips?

What I would do is power the PC off, removed all the RAM chips, reset the BIOS using the jumpers on the board, (to the left of the battery) and then put just one RAM chip back in, and try it again.
Tried that, no difference.

wratterus
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
OK, try Sol's suggestion - pull out the graphics card and use the onboard video, see if that makes a difference.

Trev
12-05-2011, 12:51 PM
No difference.

SolMiester
12-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Unplug all USB devices and try that!

Trev
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Actually the computer is sitting on a table with nothing attached to it. When something goes wrong with something I have it really goes wrong.

pctek
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Hmmm. Try disabling CPU smart fan in the BIOS.

Trev
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Computer won't get as far as the bios screen.

Trev
12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
This computer was purchased from Ascent mid 2008. Most of the parts are still under warranty including the HD,MB,PSU,Ram, and CPU. It was assembled by Ascent. Anyway I have just rung them and they have told me to send it back to them and they will disassemble it and send the parts away to get checked as they no longer do any technical stuff. A long process.

wainuitech
12-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Got one here at the moment, doing the exact same thing - uplugged the HDD and bingo - BIOS.

DeSade
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I fixed a comp for a friend a couple of weeks ago, same as wainuitech.
Nothing then unplugged the HDD and away it went.

Trev
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Have tried that as will. Even plugged in another HD with no joy.

Trev
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
This started last night. I went out about 4pm and went to switch the computer off but by the start button was the windows update icon so I went to windows update and downloaded and installed the updates. When it had finished windows said I had to restart the computer for the updates to work. I just turned the computer off thinking it can finish the updates when I turn it on again when I get home which was about 9pm. I did that and all I got was the long beep.

wainuitech
12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
When it had finished windows said I had to restart the computer for the updates to work. I just turned the computer off thinking it can finish the updates when I turn it on again NO! :eek: The message that says do not turn off or unplug your computer is there for a reason.

Doing what you did though shouldn't cause a Hardware failure,what it can do is screw your OS.

If it were a BIOS upgrade then that can cause problems turning it off before its finished.

SolMiester
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, I would take the mobo out, place on bench, plug in ram only and see what happens when you connect up PSU and start!

Trev
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM
NO! :eek: The message that says do not turn off or unplug your computer is there for a reason.

Doing what you did though shouldn't cause a Hardware failure,what it can do is screw your OS.

If it were a BIOS upgrade then that can cause problems turning it off before its finished.

Yes I know that. What I meant was turn the computer off via windows and do the restart later when I came home. I was just going to delay the restart by a few hours. I was running out of time to do the restart then.
:)

pctek
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Most of the parts are still under warranty

Which is good.

they will disassemble it and send the parts away to get checked as they no longer do any technical stuff.
Which is stink. Wonder why they did that? That's the most fun part.

Trev
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I could take the MB out with the CPU and ram still in it and send that off for them to send away to be checked. Still deciding what to do.

Trev
12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok I borrowed a Thermaltake 430 w psu and just connected it up to the mb and it ran alright. Wasn't able to connect it to the HD or DVD rom drive as they have sata connectors which the loan psu doesn't. Anyway it ran alright with no beeping. Looks like the PSU is fault which is a Enermax Liberty 500 watter.

Trev
12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Connected the HD and it started beeping. Oh well back to the drawing board.

wainuitech
12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Thats the one question that no one asked - had the PSU been changed /tested.

One interesting article I found, back in 2008 same PSU
I read the other day about a bunch of people who owned this line of power supply who had the same thing happen in roughly the same amount of time. It was just 2 years old - there were no warning signs ( that I noticed ) , just didnt turn on one day.

Mind you, I'd still make sure by connecting up the other components (I know you will need SATA connectors)

Trev
12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes I found some sata to ide adaptor power cables in my collection and started it up and the beeping returned. Having tried earlier a IDE drive and it was beeping I'm lending towards the MB being at fault and a friend of mine who I borrowed the PSU off thinks the same. I will send the mb with cpu and ram attached back to Ascent and they can sort it out. All 3 still under warranty.

SolMiester
13-05-2011, 09:30 AM
woooo, who would of thought, an ASUS motherboard giving out after only 2 yrs?!...LMAO..

PPp
13-05-2011, 10:39 PM
A little Googling shows it would pay to get the latest BIOS update, as previous ones had had quite a few problems.