PDA

View Full Version : XP Home log in

ianhnz
10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi all.

Was gona try and reload my XP Home, which failed.

Now when I log in I have to choose between XP Home and setup.

Real pain as, 1. don't want that and 2. it only gives a few seconds and then switches to set up.

Please tell me what's wrong.

Thanks,
Ian

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Speedy Gonzales
10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Select XP Home then

ianhnz
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Select XP Home then

Ha ha, very funny. :banana

Thanks, Speedy, that's what I do, but as I said is a pain and not supposed to be there.

:thanks

wainuitech
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Was gona try and reload my XP Home, which failed.
That can mean is was part way through and got to a stage thats now in an endless loop - cant go forward and cant go back.

Most of the time, you have one of two choices, select the setup, and finish (if it will allow) OR if it were a repair install, slave the drive to another computer, copy off any data you want ( should be backed up already) ;) then wipe the drive and start again from a fresh install.

Will it actually start in XP when you select it ?

Lurking
11-05-2011, 10:51 AM
This was on this machine from son-in-law, he must have needed it at some time.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/ReInstall%20XP/instxprepair1.htm

Lurking.

dugimodo
11-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Did you try to install to the same drive / partition or a new one?
If it's a new one you should be able to edit the boot menu to remove the setup option and reformat the drive you tried to install to.

If it's the same drive you could still edit the boot menu but there may be a bunch of hidden setup files left on the drive somewhere.

I don't recall how to do this as I stopped using XP some time ago, there's a text file you can edit somewhere or you can probably find a tool to do it online. Google something like "edit XP boot menu"

nmercer
12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
change the startup order under the advanced tab of the system control panel