PDA

View Full Version : illegal operation,same s#@%, different day!

06-10-2001, 02:10 PM
'this program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down' Message appears at random, whenever. Lately showing up when screensaver is on, when on the net. No specific site noted as direct target. Happens on this site. Ran spyware and anti-virus. Everything OK according to the programs. Running windows 98se. Any advice or answers from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all responders.

06-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Your problem could be caused by any of a number of things and as you have not been to specific on when the problems first occured, it is hard to be to exact, however in general if you have not changed anything on your system your problem is likely to be just Windows becoming unstable with use, if your machine has not had Windows reloaded on a clean install for a while, now would be a good time to do it.
If after reloading the problem persists you likely have a hardware problem (faulty ram would be a good candidate}

Alan

06-10-2001, 03:41 PM
These are degenerate modern times. Once upon a time 'performing an illegal operation' would land you in prison. Perhaps software would be better if that still held.

06-10-2001, 09:40 PM
Hello,
I run the same windows and encountered the same problems,
99% of it went away when I installed extra RAM, and also I use mem-turbo which allows a tweak and defrag of RAM. You could also try ramidle.
good luck
Bob

07-10-2001, 04:34 PM
Same as Bob.. 128 min. Makes all the difference !!
Cheers B