PDA

View Full Version : Active Desktop in Win 95

06-10-2001, 01:04 PM
I have an old computer with Windows 95 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 5.5 installed. Can anyone tell me how to get the quick launch bar and active desktop installed on it? I installed win95 clean and IE 5.5 from a PC World Plus CD. I have searched the web for 'Active Desktop in Windows 95', 'Desktop Update', and many other variations, and there isn't even anything in the Microsoft Download Center. I am running SP1 for Win95 and MS Plus.

06-10-2001, 01:22 PM
Active desktop/Quick launch were only included with IE4, after that it was bundled with Windows instead. You'd need to do an install of IE4, then install 5.5 over the top... I did this on my dad's computer, and it seems to be going okay now, although we did have some problems early on, and really it may be more hassle than its worth.

06-10-2001, 01:24 PM
If you want to add shortcuts to the quick launch bar. Go to start, find files. Search for quick launch. Once you have found it open it. Now chose a shortcut you want on the quicklaunch bar and place it in the quicklaunch folder and your done. Your new shortcut will appear on the quicklaunch bar. If you do not have the quick launch bar then your best bet is to get windows 98.

06-10-2001, 01:28 PM
Hello George,

The only way I know of to run Active Desktop and Quick launch on a Win 95 machine is to go back to using Internet Explorer 4.xx, the 4 series of Internet Explorer came bundled with these features, they were removed from >IE 5.0 onwards as many people found them troublesome.
I have on a couple of occasions been requested to set up a Win95 machine like this and have found that it is best to load IE4 as part of a clean install to avoid problems later on, in your case trying to go backwards will almost certainly lead to trouble, so it will be easier and quicker in the long run to reinstall afresh.
If you do decide to try the backwards path, get hold of ieradicator, available from
http://www.98lite.net/
ieradicator.html
and 'completely' remove 5.5 before you install 4.0.

Alan

06-10-2001, 02:17 PM
Adding active desktop etc will really slow your system down, especially on an older computer (which I assume it is).

I would avoid it, unless you have a good reason to use it.