PDA

View Full Version : Broadband initial connection..

bazmeister
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM
For the second day in a row I have had problems in connecting to xtra broadband (both email and net). I have a ADSL2+ router and noticed that the ADSL indicator light didn't settle down and continued flickering. Yesterday it came right suddenly by itself after about 15 minutes, this morning it took about 20 minutes. Would this indicate a modem problem or something else....? Trying to get a handle on it before I ring the little man in Calcutta.

Safari
07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
The ADSL light should only take a minute or 2 to come on. I suspect something at your end.
Have you got filters on all your phones, sky digital etc.
Try connecting the modem direct to the phone jack with everything else disconnected from the line.

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm with Safari, it could be interference, such as from another device.

Try and log into your Router and see if you can find statistics, or the status page for the ADSL connection. We want to know what your sync speed is, Attenuation, Signal to Noise Ratio / SNR.

Agent_24
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I had this problem myself for a while after the ADSL2+ cabinet upgrade... it seems to have gone away for now... not sure why.

bazmeister
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry for a delay in answering your replies - have posted this in case it may assist someone in the future.

Have had a man from Chorus in the house for at least 3 hours (thorough gentleman) who diagnosed an ADSL line fault. After checking every wire in the house, a and every phone jack-point, he corrected the problem by giving the ADSL a dedicated line of its own.

Right up till the end the symptoms remained the same - the modem would not start but would remain flashing for different periods of time (hours) before something would trigger it into action. It would then stay on indefinitely but once switched off, would not start itself again.

What appeared to be clearly a stuffed modem, was in fact not.

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
How'd you convince them to do that? I'v had Chorus out 4x now but they still won't budge on giving me a new line for ADSL, even though I'm syncing at slower than 1400kbps :(

dugimodo
10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I suspect by dedicated line he means they installed a filter in the etp and made a dedicated adsl jackpoint for the modem as opposed to a whole new line. Doing away with plug-in filters is definately a good way to go as the permanent filter is of much better specs & quality (and they call it a splitter despite the fact it is still a filter).

I'm curious, do you regularly turn your modem off? I never touch mine so the ADSL light tends to stay on permanently. Occasionally it needs to reconnect, but will run for months without problem.

As for Chills situation, unless the line is actually faulty they are unlikely to change it. 1400 is low though and would put you quite some distance from the exchange on a good pair (I ought to know how far but I can't memorise the graph). I do recall that @ 3.5KM I synced @ 3000 ~ 3500 kbps depending on which router I used. I have a cabinet nearby these days and a speed of 16000 :).

I know you have a good knowledge of this stuff chill, you may be able to figure out from the attenuation and loop resistance how far from the exchange or cabinet you should be and whether the speed you get is as expected.

Safari
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
How'd you convince them to do that? I'v had Chorus out 4x now but they still won't budge on giving me a new line for ADSL, even though I'm syncing at slower than 1400kbps :(

Why should they if there is a problem with your house wiring. Even when you first get broadband connected and you need a full install because of something like a monitored alarm you have to pay for the dedicated ADSL line.

bazmeister
10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I looked at it from the point of view, that if I turned everything off, when I turned it back on again I expected to be able to "log-on" without waiting for several hours for some random act to trigger me back again. I will be changing my habits now and will be leaving the modem on overnight.

Clearly there was a "line problem" for which I am gouged every month in my account - hopefully this will pay for the work done - however, having said that I will wait and view my next Telecom account with interest.

So far I am very happy with the service I have received, however again my line fees should be available to cover this.

Safari
10-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I looked at it from the point of view, that if I turned everything off, when I turned it back on again I expected to be able to "log-on" without waiting for several hours for some random act to trigger me back again. I will be changing my habits now and will be leaving the modem on overnight.

Clearly there was a "line problem" for which I am gouged every month in my account - hopefully this will pay for the work done - however, having said that I will wait and view my next Telecom account with interest.

So far I am very happy with the service I have received, however again my line fees should be available to cover this.

Your line fee does not cover your house wiring unless you are paying for wiring and maintenance as well.

Agent_24
10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
If everything is working OK you do not need to leave your router on.

I don't, and I have no problems connecting each morning (at least not any more anyway)

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I was on TAT/F, now I'm on TAT/R.
At my TAT/F location I was 3.1KM as the cable runs from the exchange.
I'm now 3.2KM as the cable runs. I've known where the local Exchange is for about 5-6 years now. Confirmed it also with the Chorus guy.
They've told me they can get 3300kbps at the cabinet (It's not been upgraded, it's just a dumb-box). I said I wanted that at my house. I'm only 100m -> 200m further than before and I was syncing at 3900kbps -> 4200kbps.

I've got a single CAT6 cable from the demarc (Had an electrician in, rewired *everything*, now there's CAT6 throughout the house from the patch panel, no phone).
It's approx 11m to the patch-panel from the demarc, I sync now at 1400kbps -> 1600kbps.

The Chorus guy came and reckoned he could get 1900kbps at my demarc. Tried telling him that I wanted that 3300kbps at my house. He didn't seem to understand that my attenuation used to be around 20 at my old place with crappy old wiring, now it's pristine wiring at the new place and my attenuation is 55.

I'm also paying the Home Wiring Maintenance fee, just so they don't have an argument with me there, even though its *not* the issue.
I don't use a home phone. The one cordless we use is VoIP.

We don't have a monitored alarm (This model is not actually capable of hooking into the phone), yet we get 2-3 disconnects a night. Usually between 5:30 and 7:30PM.

The Chorus guy told me I'm on an older BUBA port, when I could be on an EUBA port. Apparently he didn't think my speeds warranted changing me.

I'm open to suggestions :D

Edit: Tried the crappy Thomson router Telecom supply too (It was my brother-in-laws, straight outta the box). It wouldn't even connect. Glad I have my Linksys AM300.

Agent_24
11-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Sounds like the crap I had to put up with 2 years or so ago

Line was fine at 3.2Mbit for ages, then one day turned to rubbish, disconnections everywhere, reconnect at 196kbps...

They tried everything they could including giving me a free splitter but the disconnections still continued... and after all that my speed wouldn't go above 2Mbit on a good day.. AND the disconnection problem was still there

Worst part is, the disconnection problem magically went away while the technicians were on strike, and after that Telecom didn't give a damn.

Eventually I managed to get a technician sent out, he said there was 4Mbit at a distribution box(? not sure the name, just guessing) up the road (not an ADSL cabinet, I was still connected at the exchange for that, about 3-4km away - although that box has since been upgraded to a cabinet with ADSL2+ equipment) yet the speed was dropping more than it should be for no good reason.

Line tests he did using a remote tester returned the line as "Perfect" and he said sorry but Telecom won't investigate further on a line that tests perfectly, and he left (although his personal opinion was that there were too many people on the line, causing interference)

After the ADSL2+ cabinet went in, speed went a lot faster, but initially I had the same issues the OP had (although I think not as bad) - couldn't connect sometimes, need several reboots to get the DSL link up sometimes, etc etc...

This was with my RTA1320 which despite heating my room better than a furnace was rock solid otherwise, also with a Thomson ST536v6 I bought on TradeMe, which was also rock solid once the link was established.

But, that all stopped a few months ago, and now the thing is fine. I even got them to disable interleaving and it's still great, and a little faster ;)

Only thing that is similar with the two routers is that the chipset is exactly the same - maybe there was some kind of compatibility issue with the new ADSL2+ equipment that they have since fixed with a firmware upgrade or something... no idea really.

Safari
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm open to suggestions :D

Edit: Tried the crappy Thomson router Telecom supply too (It was my brother-in-laws, straight outta the box). It wouldn't even connect. Glad I have my Linksys AM300.

In the Linksys under DSL modulation if it is set to Multi Mode try setting it to ADSL2+ or G.992.5

Otherwise looks like you will have to wait for an upgrade as whether you get 1600kbps or 3900kbps it is still a pathetic speed.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Now that you mention that, it could be worth a shot, thanks for that! I'll login and see what it's set to shortly (Have to do it from my Cellphone, RDP & LogMeIn is blocked at work)

dugimodo
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
@Chill
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/

it's not the graph I had in mind exactly but it's similar. It would suggest you are 3.9KM from the exchange and should expect 4-5Mbps conection speed.

It get's complicated though, there are many different cable types and conductor sizes in telecoms network. Not only does the weight of the conductor affect the loss, but every time you change form one size to another you introduce loss at the junction. The construction of the cable is also a factor.

You could for example have 0.63mm cable from the exchange to the cabinet, 0.5mm from the cabinet to your property, and 0.63 from the street to the house. I believe 0.63 is widely in use but 0.4, 0.5, and many other sizes also exist.

Another thing is the lead-in, the type of cable once used to houses had very little twist in it and can introduce a huge amount of loss and interference in a very short distance if still in place. It is no longer installed but may still exist in some locations.

Not 100% sure about this but I believe the old cable has white, yellow, black, and brown conductors and when stripped back you can see there is almost no twist in it. The newer lead-in I think is two pairs, blue-white and orange-white with a twist more like what you'd see in Cat 5.

Convincing anyone that there is a fault when the line tests ok can be difficult.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Hmm OK I'll look into that.

I've just checked and I'm *forcing* G992.5 which was fine when I was at my old place, but I can't help but wonder if I should try setting it to Auto (Considering they've confirmed I'm on an older port, not the newer hardware).

Still, there *surely* has to be some magic word to get them to swap my port over, as well as checking the wiring :-(

I'm definitely 3.2KM from the Exchange as the cable runs...

Safari
11-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Why not try Auto can't hurt, or G.DMT as your speeds are way below even standard ADSL.
You are on a FS/FS plan are you.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Yup for sure!

EDIT: I'll try making that change tonight. Wife is at home today, she'd kill me if I changed the internet settings remotely and she couldn't get back on if it didn't reconnect :p

Agent_24
11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Maybe you need the phone line polarity tester (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=117831)?

Safari
11-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Yup for sure!

EDIT: I'll try making that change tonight. Wife is at home today, she'd kill me if I changed the internet settings remotely and she couldn't get back on if it didn't reconnect :p

She should be doing something constructive anyway such as cleaning, cooking or washing your clothes and making the place comfortable for your return.

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2011, 01:41 PM
So I got to know our neighbors a bit better over the last day or two.

Long story short, from what I can gather, the issue is between the distribution box and the Exchange, coz everybody in our area seems to suffer from it, yet those on the other distribution box that powered my old home were fine :(

Agent_24
14-05-2011, 01:48 PM
If everyone has the problem I guess you could wait until they upgrade you to an ADSL2+ cabinet or try to get as many people on your street as possible complaining about the problem.. then they might do something about it - but if they are planning an upgrade in the future they may not bother fixing it at this time, and prefer to wait until the upgrade anyway

Chilling_Silence
14-05-2011, 02:51 PM
but if they are planning an upgrade in the future they may not bother fixing it at this time, and prefer to wait until the upgrade anyway

Yeah they're upgrading us in / by September. They've already begun excavating the area where our whisper cabinet is gonna be, and I saw a whole lotta Chorus guys the other day just down the road at another.

Still, the disconnects are probably what piss me off the most :(

Agent_24
14-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah you'll probably just have to wait until the new equipment gets installed, but that should fix your problems anyway, hopefully.

You might not have to wait until September though, I think mine came online faster than they had predicted.