PDA

View Full Version : IBM APTIVA in restarting loop for Win95

06-10-2001, 12:30 PM
The PC is a Pentium 133 and running Windows 95 Ver A. During startup the message press akey to continue appears. When pressed the system seems to start to load windows and then returns to the same message. I have run the Aptiva diagnosrics CD which does not appear to find a problem. I can start the system in Safe mode but I can find nothing that appears to be causing a problem. I have checked the config.sys and autoexec.bat, changed to vanilla bootup but still problem occurs. What I did find was that they had a win.com /w as the last line of the autoexec.bat and when I replaced that with 'win' the loading message of you are running in DOS - do you want to run in Windows Y/N. The problem may have occured when some games were downloaded from the net. I cannot use the CD ROM as IBM seem to have incorporated it in their bootup and not through software - even though it recognises its own CDs! I wondered whether the command.com may be the wrong version or if something has been added to the registry. I was beginning to chase my tail so I hope you can help. I am doing this on behalf of a friend.

06-10-2001, 03:42 PM
Remove the 'win' entry from the autoexec.bat completely. This is not needed and windows should start automatically after processing autoexec.bat and config.sys.

If the command.com file had been replaced windows would probably give a version conflict message. You could eliminate this possibility by using a windows 95 boot disk and transfering system files back to the hard disk. To do this, restart the computer at the dos prompt and type 'sys c:' from the a: drive.