PDA

View Full Version : Computer dead

bk T
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Turned it ON this afternoon only to find that it's completely dead - no POST beep, no fans spin, no lights no monitor out put, nothing.

Opened the lid and did some fiddling, managed to get the fans spin up but it turns off by itself and back on again - keeps repeating the above. After turning OFF the power a couple of times, the fans all spin up steadily but still no video output Pulled out the RAMs, reinserted one by one still no joy.

Swapped a known-to-be good Video card from another PC, still the same. Took out the Motherboard to test it on bench produced same result.

Can I assume that the MB is dead? Haven't got a PSU to try at this moment though. Currently it's installed with a Corsair 650W PSU, MB is GA-EP45-DS4P.

Is it worth buying a new PSU just to try it out?

wainuitech
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Does sound more like a Motherboard, BUT a faulty PSU will can do the same thing, it may be delivering enough power to "kick" but not enough to run.

In this game never assume anything unless its blatantly obvious.

bk T
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Put the MB back to the case and this time can't get the fans to spin steadily - it spins up for a couple of seconds, shuts down and restarts by itself.

So, you reckon I should get a PSU to try out? I thought Corsair PSUs are reliable? I think this machine is about 3 years old as I built it from scratch.

wainuitech
06-05-2011, 11:45 PM
The symptoms do sound like a motherboard failure, But I wouldn't like to say it is for certain.
I've had PC's that looked like a board failure, but then discovered it was something else (RAM, PSU, or even a faulty CPU).

Sometimes in fault finding you have to eliminate each part one at a time, then what ever is left is generally the culprit.

If you dont have basically spare parts to swap around, it can be a very expensive exercise to find the problem if its wrong.

While what I wrote above wont be of much help - I dont want to say for sure its a board, PSU or any other part -- Been stung on the odd occasion if jumping to conclusions without testing.

Corsair Power Supplies are reliable and generally better quality, BUT at the end of the day, they are still only electronic components, and can and do fail.

Edited: real classic example - there is another post here a few days back, the PC kept shutting down, hibernating when in normal startup-- lots of suggestions - I had a gut feeling it may have been power related one way or another - in the end it was discovered to be because the UPS connection was disconnected, so it was "kind of" close - as a UPS regulates power.

Edited; Found it, post 21 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=117715&page=3) when I made the comment ""could" be the PSU failing under the extra load of a normal start up."

pctek
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I thought Corsair PSUs are reliable?
They are.
But while that means they have a much lower failure rate I haven't come across any parts yet with a zero failure rate.

Had a dead Enermax too once and they're not known for being rubbish.
Try a PSU first, if that doesn't cure it you might then have to suspect the board.

bk T
07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
They are.
But while that means they have a much lower failure rate I haven't come across any parts yet with a zero failure rate.

Had a dead Enermax too once and they're not known for being rubbish.
Try a PSU first, if that doesn't cure it you might then have to suspect the board.

Thanks for your advise (of course, Wainutech is included, as always). :) :thumbs:

Just checked my Invoice for those parts - they are all just less than 3 years. They are all under warranty but will the shop where I bought them honour it? If not, I may need to contact Gigabyte and Corsair direct. Any idea who are their Agents in New Zealand and their contact details?

Edit: I bought them from PB Tech

Nomad
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Take it back to PB Tech.

bk T
07-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Take it back to PB Tech.

What if they say that the '12 Months' warranty is over?

wainuitech
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
What if they say that the '12 Months' warranty is over? "By Rights" they should honor the warranties, ( any GOOD shop will) BUT like a lot of places they put on stupid 1 year warranties, which is a load of crap.

Depending on the exact model, the Corsair warranties now range from 2-7 years Their details (http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty/) near the bottom of the page.

Gigabyte also have a three year manufactures warranty.

If they wont honor the manufactures warranty, then you may have to go directly to the manufactures - tell PB Tech that if they play silly buggers.
You could be pissing in the wind,:eek: but nothing to lose, esp when you can prove it via the manufactures web site.

bk T
07-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks wainu.:thanks

pctek
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
What if they say that the '12 Months' warranty is over?

Then you say manufacturers warranty is XXX. And CGA. Works wonders. Say it to the manager.

Agent_24
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Check your power button and BIOS battery too