PDA

View Full Version : getting defective Ext HD to work as an itnernal one

Briktop
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I recently bought a Seagate 1TB ext HD and after 2 months it stopped working. It would power up fine (could feel it the vibrations fine when pluggin it in) but neither my two computers nor my Media Player could read from it.

I took it back to the store where it had a 90 day warranty. They couldnt get it to work either, and they informed me that if sent back, it would probably be replaced and I would definitely lose all data I had on it. I absolutely cannot have this happen since i have almost every picture and video I have ever taken backed up on this as well as a lot of other important stuff. After telling the Tech guy this, he told me my only option was to take it apart myself (while voiding the warranty) and attempt converting it to an internal HD.

I have since dismantled it and found out it has a SATA connection and not the 24 pin IDE connection I am accustomed to. Now I have to figure out how to install this to an IBM ThinkCentre PC motherboard.

Is this easily done? Does the IBM ThinkCentre even have connection slots for Serial ATA hard drives? I just found a website that shows you can get a SATA Drive USB Adapter Perhaps that would be my best bet?

I guess my biggest worry is that I go through all of this and it still doesnt work. If so, might there be any other options I can turn to? This is so depressing that I am now without 380 Gig of data I no longer have backed up anywhere else

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
What model is it. As some seagates had a firmware bug. And what firmware version is on it?

Briktop
06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I am pretty sure it is a Barracuda 7200 I am at work right now but I will check when I get home what firmware version is on it. Is this info listed right on the HD itself?

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
The fw version is on the top of it. And so is the model

Paul.Cov
06-05-2011, 09:13 PM
If your motherboard doesn't support SATA, then you'll still have to go through some other external interface.

This sucker is all you'll need (assuming the drive can still be accessed)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/External-storage/Other/auction-373887449.htm

I've bought one of these myself, and cannot fault it for the price. However, in my case the plug into the power transformer for the device was very tight, and needed a particularly hard shove in order to achieve a good stable connection.

This interface lets you connect 3.5 or 2.5 inch IDE drives or SATA drives to your computers USB interface... so it's a handy and cheap all-round drive interfacing tool.

On the other hand, if your MOBO does support SATA, you may just need the appropriate SATA power and data cables (and a trip into the BIOS) to get the drive working internally.

If you're lucky the drive is ok, and it's original housing (interface) is bad. However, most likely the drive is poked, and short of getting the data recovered it may well be lost beyond the reach of us merely average users. Given that it is within warranty, check out directly with the drive manufacturers whether or not they will recover the data for free (they should). Don't mention it being removed from an enclosure - just treat the process as if it was a bare SATA drive that you bought as such.

gcarmich
06-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Paul.Cov,

Which drive manufacturers recover data for free?

Briktop
06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
What model is it. As some seagates had a firmware bug. And what firmware version is on it?

Model: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Firmware: CC3E

hopefully this isn't bad news..... :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2011, 10:54 PM
The model will start with ST

pctek
07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
I absolutely cannot have this happen since i have almost every picture and video I have ever taken backed up on this as well as a lot of other important stuff.

I guess my biggest worry is that I go through all of this and it still doesn;t work.

It might not. There are professional services for this sort of thing but it's likely to be expensive. very expensive.

Never, ever, have important stuff on one hard drive only. They fail.
Always use at least 2 hard drives, I have mine on 3. I know that doesn't help now - but for others reading this - why do people think if it's on one HDD it's safe?

In fact think about all the scenarios. You get burgled, they steal the external as well as your PC.
The house burns down.
Anything can happen, not just drive failure.

More than 1 HDD and preferably one off-site. (or at least outside in a shed or something)

Briktop
07-05-2011, 10:11 AM
The model will start with ST

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Model: ST31000528AS

Firmware: CC3E

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Oh its the same hdd I'm using on this. Its now up to CC49. I dont think its got a firmware bug. Well, I've never had a prob with this one.

No harm in updating it anyway if you want. Just download the update from here

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=213891

May pay to disable any firewalls and AV programs first, it'll reboot the system then update, then boot back into windows

Paul.Cov
07-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Paul.Cov,

Which drive manufacturers recover data for free?

Yeah, as unlikely as it sounds, and if memory serves, Seagate were doing truck-loads of free data recovery after they had a firmware issue that was bricking entire batches of new drives. Seems only reasonable too if the thing is still well within warranty.

If it died abruptly, chances are it is the controller board attached to the drive that is bad, rather than the heads or platters, which typically show a gradual (and accellerating) pattern of deterioration - so the data should be fine, and very easily accessed with a good (working) drive interface.

wainuitech
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
The problem wont be a firmware issue, that was back in 2009, the drives to new. The affected models Listed here (http://news.cnet.com/seagate-fixes-7200.11-drives-except-when-it-doesnt/), they were the 7200.11 range, not the 12.

Sounds like either the USB controller has failed in the external case (very common) or the actual circuit board on the Drive.

If its only the case thats faulty, then a USB adaptor, or a board with USB ports can be used to read the drive.
No Drive manufacture will recover the data for free with the exception when Seagate did on that firmware issue.

As its already been mentioned, ALL hard drives can and do fail, some within days, others may last years.
An external drive like you have is just a normal HDD in a fancy case, nothing more.

As for professional recovery options. Last quote I heard from a customer (about a month ago) Usually around $80-$100 just to look at the drive to see if they can recover it, then $600 plus (Expect normally $1000 - $1500 + ) to actually recover the data.

As PCtek mentioned "Always use at least 2 hard drives" Cheaper than having to do a recovery, Eh! ;)

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
If youre in Auckland, I could try and recover whats on it

Briktop
07-05-2011, 06:56 PM
So running this firmware update......it may make my ext hd readable/usable again?

Thanks Speedy, much obliged

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2011, 07:09 PM
umm, I dont know soon find out. Hopefully it can find it. Since its external

wainuitech
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Have you tried connecting the drive to a PC and see if it reads or not ?

There may be nothing wrong with the drive - it could simply be a faulty external case (circuit board in the Case - they fail all the time).

If the case is the fault, then no firmware in the world will fix it.

If its the external case faulty, then the drive can either be attached to a SATA port on the Motherboard, or another external Case purchased, or a sata to USB adaptor.

Briktop
11-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Well it looks like I was able to save my data. I took apart the case on the ext HD, then disconnected the circuit card adapter, Fortunately my motherboard has both an ATA drive connector as well as an ATA power plug so I was able to connect it as an internal HD and after tinkering a bit with BIOS settings, PRESTO.....it worked.

So I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for their support and advice, I really appreciate it. I've learned my lesson and moving forward I am going to make sure that when I have tons of important files on an external HD, that is for back up purposes only, and not the sole repository of data.

Now if I only could get my CD or DVD to properly connect so that I can re-image my hard drives with a new OS. I finally got the OS to recognize the CD drive, but it won't read from it or write to it. I'm wondering if perhaps there is some kind of conflict from the SATA connection.

Does anyone know if there is specific generic DMA & IRQ settings in the BIOS for a CD drive? Should I have the ports set to "bi-directional"?

Snorkbox
11-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Well done.

Re the CD drive I suggest you look into upper and lower filters in the registry.

What version O/S are you running?

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Briktop
11-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Well done.

Re the CD drive I suggest you look into upper and lower filters in the registry.

What version O/S are you running?

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Windows XP. But I want to install VISTA. I have the VISTA setup-install on my HD drive, but I've been told it has to install from disk. Plus, its probably best to do it that way anyways isn't it?.......so as to start with a clean boot and avoid any garbage staying resident in memory

Snorkbox
11-05-2011, 03:16 AM
So look into getting the CD drive working. Can you boot off the CD drive using a bootable CD/DVD?

Briktop
11-05-2011, 04:08 AM
wouldn't know if I even have a bootable CD around here.......but considering it isn't reading any data and can't been be written tom I doubt it would work

At least I got the Drive to be recognized...before I couldn't even get it to show in WIndows File Mgr or even the BIOS. It at least it does that now, just can't read/write with it

Snorkbox
11-05-2011, 04:25 AM
wouldn't know if I even have a bootable CD around here.......but considering it isn't reading any data and can't been be written tom I doubt it would work

At least I got the Drive to be recognized...before I couldn't even get it to show in WIndows File Mgr or even the BIOS. It at least it does that now, just can't read/write with it

So I would suggest you apply the fix I already posted.

It's not reading/writing data at the moment probably because to read and write you have WinXP loaded and the upper/lower filters need fixing. The original WinXP CD you intalled from should be bootable if you still have one.