PDA

View Full Version : CDRW backups

06-10-2001, 11:22 AM
I have been using Adaptec software to format CDRW's and then MSBackup to back up a large number of files each month. I have the problem that if I had a PC crash I would have to have Adaptec software on any PC that I was to use to try to recover my data. I know that this is not a big problem, I would simply have to instal Adaptec software onto that PC but I would rather have a situation where my backup can simply be read by any PC without additional software. Would it be better to just use a CDR disk considering that they are only about $1.50 these days anyway or is there better software (Freeware) around for CDRW's? I also have read that CDRWs are not particularly reliable so CDRs may still be the best option.

06-10-2001, 11:33 AM
I presume by 'formatting the cdrw' you mean with DirectCD?
Well anyway, unless you need to keep adding files to the CD until it is full, you are far better off just to put the files on the CDRW formatted with easy cd creator instead of direct CD. You then gain about 100 meg that is usually needed for direct cd's filing system. The disc can be read in another CD-rom drive as long is it is not direct-cd formatted. Otherwise, you can just use CDR's, which do prove to be more 'withstanding'.

06-10-2001, 01:06 PM
Hello Howard,

Even if you are using Direct Cd, your disks will be readable by most cdroms as long as you have the option to include the reader software as part of the CDRW, most packet writing software does this by default so you wil not have to worry unless you have disabled it.

Alan

07-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I find it's still an unsatisfactory situation though. If I use Easy Cd I have to create a MSbackup file onto the hard-drive and then use Easy Cd to place it on the CDR. Then when I take the CDR to another PC I find that when I try to open my backup file (MSBackup) it wont open, it tells me it can't find the directory file or something. It appears that MSBackup saves something to the hard drive when it make the backup. When you consider the senario where your hard drive is fried and you try to recover that backup file you meticulously saved last month only to find you can't open it because the directory file died with everything else on your hard drive you are goin' to be one unhappie chappie.
Right now I'm looking into some other shareware which will be more practical.