PDA

View Full Version : Advice on upgrade

jonboy
06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Im going to upgrade my desktop and need some opinions on the components I have chosen to make sure they will play nice together.

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Graphics: Asus EAH 6850 V2

I also need some Ram.I know XP will only show 3GB, but I will upgrade to Win7 later, so will probably go for two 2GB sticks. Can anyone recommend a particular brand?

Does any one know of any problems/issues with these components or any better alternatives? I will be re-installing XP pro and re-using my existing HDD's (assuming this will work?). My PSU is 600W so it should be sufficient.

Thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
If you get Win7, you'll have to install x64, if you want more than 3 GB. Since all versions of 32 bit will only see / use 3.25 - 3.5 GB. Hopefully 0605 of the BIOS is on it. Since this is the BIOS you need for that CPU

The parts should be fine. You could dual boot XP and Win7, if you want

jonboy
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks Speedy, I will definitely get x64 Win7. Got to make the most of 64bit! I will check out the BIOS version.

pctek
06-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Graphics: Asus EAH 6850 V2

Lovely. And a decent GPU too.
RAM - doesn't matter hugely unless you want to overclock. Just check warranty on it, 1 yr is rubbish.

jonboy
06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Lovely. And a decent GPU too.
RAM - doesn't matter hugely unless you want to overclock. Just check warranty on it, 1 yr is rubbish.

And for a decent price as well (Ascent). I'm not going to overclock as I wont need the extra power, so I just need some ram that will last and not cause any stability issues.

dugimodo
06-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Those components should be fine together. I notice you have a reasonably capable graphics card included, are you planning on gaming much ?

If so maybe check out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-intel-core-i7-amd-phenom-ii,2926-5.html for a comparison of the gaming potential.

Basically any sandybridge CPU including the cheapest i3 available will outperform that AMD processor in games although generally the 6 core AMD is considered better for everything else.

I'm not an Intel fanboy, personally I buy whichever has the best offering currently, but I'd like to point out the AMD is near the top end of the current range and leaves not much room for upgrades whereas an 1155 intel board is new tech and can be upgraded to an i7 2600k currently the gaming king.

SolMiester
06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi OP, if you are seriously on budget, fine, but really at the end of the day, your build maybe $100-120 cheaper than an i5 build but that X6 will hold you back....AMD just cant compete....Even at stock 3.3Ghz, the i5 monsters that X6, clocked at 4ghz, the X6 isnt going to allow the 6850 to perform at its best!

My advise, hold out a little more for the i5.....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=288

SolMiester
06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Haha, dugi, you beat me to it!

jonboy
06-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I not a gamer, but cant rule that out as I have a 6yo boy who may want to play a few games over the next couple of years, however, I do a bit of 3D modelling (solidworks), but mostly, it will be used for movies (watching & encoding), music, internet.

Im not really on a budget, but reluctant to spend too much. My current system does everything I need at the moment, but is having age related issues:-). Anything I upgrade to will be streaks ahead of what I already have.

inphinity
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
3D modelling (solidworks), but mostly, it will be used for movies (watching & encoding), music, internet.

The Phenom II will be a better choice than a comparably-price i-series CPU for these functions, assuming you're using relatively recent software that supports proper multithreading.

If you were doing a lot of 3D gaming, though, I'd agree - look at i5 options.

SolMiester
06-05-2011, 01:03 PM
err, the X6 is still getting nailed by the i5 is video and encoding......

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=288

jonboy
06-05-2011, 01:18 PM
The Phenom II will be a better choice than a comparably-price i-series CPU for these functions, assuming you're using relatively recent software that supports proper multithreading.

If you were doing a lot of 3D gaming, though, I'd agree - look at i5 options.

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I dont do gaming- the motion makes me nauseous (game-sick?), however, racing games (rally, wipeout etc) are all fine. Strange I know.

dugimodo
06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I like AMD, I do. However until bulldozer comes out they just aren't in the running. If you look at solmeister's link you will see a 4 core i5 winning in every test against the six core AMD.

But even worse http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=289 same site, choose an i3 2100 - the slowest 2 core i3 available for the 1155 platform and it still wins on most of the benchmarks - and is cheaper than the AMD.

Take off the rose coloured AMD glasses, forget any intel predjudice and just research the two chips on a price / performance basis. If you multitask a lot 6 cores may be of use to you, but in the real world most of us are fine with 4 or even 2.

I hope AMD come back and give intel some real competition, but in the current situation the only thing they have going for them is price and even then the i series chips are very competitive.

Richardd150
06-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I like AMD, I do. However until bulldozer comes out they just aren't in the running. If you look at solmeister's link you will see a 4 core i5 winning in every test against the six core AMD.

But even worse http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=289 same site, choose an i3 2100 - the slowest 2 core i3 available for the 1155 platform and it still wins on most of the benchmarks - and is cheaper than the AMD.

Take off the rose coloured AMD glasses, forget any intel predjudice and just research the two chips on a price / performance basis. If you multitask a lot 6 cores may be of use to you, but in the real world most of us are fine with 4 or even 2.

I hope AMD come back and give intel some real competition, but in the current situation the only thing they have going for them is price and even then the i series chips are very competitive.
I agree. I'd used nothing but AMD until my most recent upgrade and chose intel because:

My research showed they stacked up better than AMD
I couldn't make myself wait for Bulldozer!

I may kick myself when Bulldozer eventually comes out (or I may not;)) but in the meantime I'm enjoying my new system.

jonboy
09-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for every ones help so far. I'm going to stick with what I originally chose, but need some advice on RAM.

From the mobo specs:
Memory
• 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
• Dual Channel memory architecture
*DDR3 Memory Ultra Low Voltage support

***Due to CPU spec., AMD 100 and 200 series CPUs support up to DDR3 1066Mhz. With ASUS design, this motherboard can support up to DDR3 1333MHz

What speed memory will be ok? DDR3 1600? or should I go for DDR# 1333?

Something like this?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390312

Snorkbox
09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
The Kingston 1333 RAM should suit you fine and it's a well regarded brand.