PDA

View Full Version : Netscape Navigator

06-10-2001, 09:40 AM
How do I make Netscape my default browser.When I have
can I saftly do away with IE
I rember I had to have it installed to get on BNZ internet banking.

06-10-2001, 11:03 AM
When you first start Netscape, isn't there a dialog box asking whether or not you would like to use netscape as your default browser.

As for removing IE, good luck - a good place to start would be to search for a program called Win98Lite.

06-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Normally, Communicator will check to make sure it is the defualt browser. If, however, you were asked, previously, if you wished to make Navigator your default browser, and you chose 'No' after selecting 'Do not perform this check in the future,' Communicator will not check again.

To change the default browser, first make sure that another browser is the default browser. If Communicator does not detect that another browser is configured as the default browser, these directions will not work properly. You can make IE the default by opening the Control Panel, and double-clicking the Internet icon.
Click the Programs tab. Click the checkbox beside 'Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser'.
Click OK.

Second, make a backup copy of your Communicator preference file, prefs.js. By default, it will be located in C:\Program Files \ Netscape \ Users \ {your profile name}

Third, edit the prefs.js file to tell Communicator to verify that it is the default browser. Close Communicator completely. This will not work if Communicator is open.
Open the prefs.js file in your user profile folder using notepad.

Find the following line:
user_pref('browser.wfe.ignore_def_check', true);
Change the true to false

Save the changes and exit. Open Communicator. The following window should appear, 'Navigator is no longer registered to handle Internet Shortcuts. Would you like to register Navigator as your default browser?'. Click Yes to make Navigator your default browser.