PDA

View Full Version : A Basic ipod/itunes Query

willbry
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
If I copy/back up my MP3 library from itunes to another computer, pen drive, external drive etc more than once, does each time the music is copied, does it like photos , degrade in quality? I often transfer music on a temporary basis to listen to for a specific purpose and am wondering if over time I'm losing quality and if so is the loss significant?

ronyville
03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
i would say nope... but lets see what others have to say.

wainuitech
03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Generally speaking no, its not like doing a photo copy where it will degrade with each copy of the copy.

Where it can change, is when formats are converted from one to another.

feersumendjinn
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t52660.html

willbry
04-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback.That's a relief.

psycik
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
This is originally why the recording industry got so annoyed with MP3s when they first came out.

Unlike record to tape to tape copies that people were doing - where the quality degraded each time, ever copy of digital music CD/MP3 was a perfect version, that never degraded.

bevy121
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
..... does each time the music is copied, does it like photos , degrade in quality?

No - neither mp3's OR photo's in digital format get degraded at all no matter how many times they are copied, or how many copy's of copy's of copy's there are made.
They stay exactly the same, numbers don't change just cause they are copied :)

Where you are thinking pics get degraded, is if they are opened in an editor and then saved again, that's when “lossy” format ones get degraded each time it's done (jpeg, jpg etc)