PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Publisher 2000 installation problems

06-10-2001, 12:47 AM
Can anyone offer a novice help with installation of Microsoft Publisher 2000? I cannot get past the error message 'Publisher cannot load the required file (PTXT9.DLL. You may be out of out of memory, or the file may be corrupt' This file is in fact installed. This is apparently a MS recognised problem but the proposed solutions on the MS website won't work. I only have Office 97 installed. I don't have a MS Office disk at home. Do I need to have the whole suite of Office 2000 installed for Publisher 2000 to work? I'm also wondering if all the files actually installed as the change in disk space following the apparent installation of Publisher seems to have been just 12MB and yet MS says it takes at least 127MB of disk space.

My PC was made in 1997, is a Pentium 166 and has 64MB of RAM. There is only 245MB of free space on the original hard disk (OS is Windows 98)where I have tried to install Publisher (is that enough space?) However, I have a new 40G disk it could go on (or must it be on the same disk as Office?)

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark Prentice

06-10-2001, 08:02 AM
Mark, I have had a similar but slightly different problem. My solution was to remove the 97 version and make a clean install...have you tried that?

06-10-2001, 09:20 AM
Sounds to me like Publisher didn't finish installing. It is definitely bigger than 12mb! Is it from an Office 2000 CD or is it the stand-alone Publisher 2000?
Try running the install from the CD it came from (whether it's Office 2000 or Pub 2000) and there should be an option there to Repair the installation or reinstall. Try choosing either of these and see if it finishes installing the rest of Publisher for you.

10-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Have you tried installing Publisher 2000 using the SAME reg number as the already installed Office 2000?
Worked for me after I had the same trouble.