PDA

View Full Version : Password for WinXP to thwart teenage boy

Strommer
03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
A friend of mine has a 15 yr old son who downloads so many videos that the rest of the family has to put up with dialup speed after the 30 Gb data cap is reached within a week or two. I said I would put a password on the computer to prevent her son from accessing the internet.

What is the best method?
The built in WinXP security, or separate software?

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Put a password on it, just dont forget the password ! Or lock him in the bedroom

Or depending on where the videos are block the sites if the router supports blocking domains

robsonde
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
if he has geek skills then a password in the OS will have little effect.

DeSade
03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Best to handle this at the router level.
Assign a MAC address and limit his bandwidth.

Agent_24
03-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Assign a MAC address.

What?

every single networkable device in the world already has a MAC address. What do you mean by that?

jwil1
03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Make him pay for his share. There's a router made by a NZ company that allows you to monitor each person's share of Internet bandwidth by IP or MAC I think. The name doesn't come to mind at the moment :p

I'd also assign a power-on password to the PC and a password on the OS itself.

steelsporran
03-05-2011, 11:11 AM
P#u^n*i$hm<n#t.

Agent_24
03-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Make him pay for his share. There's a router made by a NZ company that allows you to monitor each person's share of Internet bandwidth by IP or MAC I think. The name doesn't come to mind at the moment :p

The problem is that only works if he's got his own computer. It looks like they might only have one and want to stop him using it

Snorkbox
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Parental control download.

I'm sure there's an app for that. I will try and find it.

pcuser42
03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
OS password, BIOS password, set the PC to boot from the HDD first and a padlock on the case. :D

psycik
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Take the computer off him till he can respect authority.

wainuitech
03-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Simple - K9web Protection (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) - it has many features that can block certain sites, disconnect the internet at certain times, block certain programs - all free.

IF a site or time needs to be accessed in the blocked time, you have to enter a password to allow.

As long a junior doesn't know the password he/she cant bypass it, you need a password to disable and uninstall it.

Just a word of warning -- use a different email address than the one on the PC when registering - use a different one ( at work for example), that they dont know the details to, a web mail one is fine, simply because if you do forget the password, you can request a temp one to remove the forgotten one, if it goes to the normal email, then bingo - theres the password.

Snorkbox
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
@ Wainui.

That's the one I was thinking of. I can stop trawling through your older posts now. :)

DeSade
03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Blocking access via router only works if hes got his own PC.

Agent I meant assign the security to his MAC address, I was typing fast and the brain had not caught up.

wainuitech
03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
@ Wainui.

That's the one I was thinking of. I can stop trawling through your older posts now. :):thumbs: K9 is fresh in my mind - just did it last week for a person to stop the kids on certain sites/actions -- Funny thing, got a call this morning from the kid - "dad has forgotten the password, hes asked me to call you" ----(yeah right) -- I asked to speak to the mother to confirm this --- never mind was the reply - click. ( good try) :)

Richard
03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
A good password would be "WORK".

Strommer
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
:banana Great replies everyone.
His mum is going to find some of your suggestions very amusing! :lol:

BTW, I forgot to mention that he has an XBox 360 connected - I have seen him talking to mates located in another part of town via a headset.
Question: How much bandwidth will an hour of online gaming eat up?

How do I configure these [power-on password to the PC and a password on the OS itself.] ?

Best to handle this at the router level.
Assign a MAC address and limit his bandwidth.

I don't know how to do this, and it would have to be easy peasy simple for his mum to use (i.e. a single password).

if he has geek skills then a password in the OS will have little effect.

His geek skills are not flash at all. I had to teach him about defragging and other basic pc maintenance. If he does learn how to bypass the password then his mum will take the keyboard and mouse to work with her. :D

Put a password on it, just dont forget the password ! Or lock him in the bedroom

Or depending on where the videos are block the sites if the router supports blocking domains

Ha ha ha - She will laugh at the bedroom idea. Since his 17 yr old sister also uses YouTube, etc, and is very responsible, we cannot block video sites.

Take the computer off him till he can respect authority.

Sounds good, but he is typical of many teenagers in that just does not 'get it' about being responsible on the internet. Mostly though he is a decent kid, well behaved, etc.

Simple - K9web Protection (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) - it has many features that can block certain sites, disconnect the internet at certain times, block certain programs - all free.

IF a site or time needs to be accessed in the blocked time, you have to enter a password to allow.

As long a junior doesn't know the password he/she cant bypass it, you need a password to disable and uninstall it.

Just a word of warning -- use a different email address than the one on the PC when registering - use a different one ( at work for example), that they dont know the details to, a web mail one is fine, simply because if you do forget the password, you can request a temp one to remove the forgotten one, if it goes to the normal email, then bingo - theres the password.

Thanks Wainui - I will check out k9webprotection :thumbs:

A good password would be "WORK".

Ha ha. Good one Richard!

I will be printing all of the funny clever comments for the family to see, so keep them coming guys...

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Well cant do much if you dont block youtube. Or the site. Its not going to help things. I wouldnt let him on the net at all. Too bad what he thinks, or wants. If he's not going to listen.

Otherwise, you wont get anywhere. We'll be here all night

Agent_24
03-05-2011, 03:30 PM
What's wrong with that K9 software as wainuitech suggested?

Give only the people who need to use Youtube\are responsible the password!

Paul.Cov
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I wouldnt let him on the net at all. Too bad what he thinks, or wants. If he's not going to listen.

I'm with Speedy. Give the little turd a kick in the pants and bar him from using the net.
Stick a BIOS password on the machine and NEVER reveal it to him.
If he doesn't respond to requests to stop, then interrupt his use with the wall sockets OFF switch.
Once it's OFF he's off it till the next day.

Where's the parenting in this case? Time to get tough!

QW.
03-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Have a whitelist of the allowed websites.

gary67
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
A few years ago friends were having trouble with teenage daughter, they only had the one PC and mate was admin other users were non admin. He chnged her password to - Isitfridayyet? then told her she was losing access for one week starting Monday, every time she asked what the password was he would say "Is it Friday yet?" She never guessed

Strommer
03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention that he has an XBox 360 connected
- I have seen him talking to mates located in another part of town via a headset.

Question: How much bandwidth will an hour of online gaming eat up?

Well cant do much if you dont block youtube. Or the site. Its not going to help things. I wouldnt let him on the net at all. Too bad what he thinks, or wants. If he's not going to listen.

What's wrong with that K9 software as wainuitech suggested?
Give only the people who need to use Youtube\are responsible the password!

I am going over to the family tonight to discuss the situation. My plan is to first put a BIOS password on the PC and possibly to use the K9 software to block video sites - but he uses torrents and I don't think I can block all of those as I don't know what sites they are.

I'm with Speedy. Give the little turd a kick in the pants and bar him from using the net.
Stick a BIOS password on the machine and NEVER reveal it to him.
If he doesn't respond to requests to stop, then interrupt his use with the wall sockets OFF switch.
Once it's OFF he's off it till the next day.

Where's the parenting in this case? Time to get tough!

His mum will really enjoy your comments - I have printed a lot of this thread for the family to absorb. :lol: BTW, she is a tough & effect parent from what I know. She was going to confiscate the keyboard and mouse until I said a password could be put on the pc.

A few years ago friends were having trouble with teenage daughter, they only had the one PC and mate was admin other users were non admin. He chnged her password to - Isitfridayyet? then told her she was losing access for one week starting Monday, every time she asked what the password was he would say "Is it Friday yet?" She never guessed

:p :banana

Paul.Cov
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I know a lady with almost identical issues. Her little golden boy is blitzing her monthly bandwidth on games and who know what else in all those downloads.
Frankly, it is the height of selfishness and inconsideration to TAKE all of the families bandwidth for oneself.

This ladies golden boy also helps himself to the contents of her wallet... but as far as she can see he can do no wrong... a mothers love... phhhht!

wainuitech
03-05-2011, 06:38 PM
I am going over to the family tonight to discuss the situation. My plan is to first put a BIOS password on the PC and possibly to use the K9 software to block video sites - but he uses torrents and I don't think I can block all of those as I don't know what sites they are.

By default K9 will block torrent sites - not to sure about the program though.

Edited: just thought Id try it on utorrent - using utorrent to do the search for a film k9 stopped it dead in its tracks - So K9 will stop torrents as well.

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Only thing with K9 its known to crash windows too

Agent_24
03-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Everything can crash Windows. Windows crashes Windows.

Strommer
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Is there a way to prevent his XBox 360 from accessing the internet?

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Delete the ip / ports for it in the router. Unplug it. Then change the password

icow
03-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Block outgoing port 3074. This should stop the xbox from connecting.

wainuitech
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Theres one HUGE problem by only passwording the computer - once the parents let him on, are they going to sit there and monitor the usage the entire time hes there ?

We already know the answer -NO!! Maybe for a night or two then it will be to much trouble -- so having a password will be a complete waste of time, as once hes on, nothing will change.

Thats why they need a program like K9 or others that are available to restrict usage.
Everything can crash Windows. Windows crashes Windows. :D yes - sad but true.

Winston001
03-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds good, but he is typical of many teenagers in that just does not 'get it' about being responsible on the internet. Mostly though he is a decent kid, well behaved, etc.

At one time I'd have gone on about kicking his backside and banning him from the pc too. However we live and learn. :groan: Not 5 feet from me sits my 16yr old son who is as pleasant and well-regarded a lad as you could want. Capable at school, gymnastics, soccer and can use a chainsaw. :thumbs:

And loves Youtube and PS3 online gaming...:ban

Which is why our broadband lasts 10 days. The problem is we have three teenagers who all enjoy Youtube at times so our son naturally blames his sisters - as he would. But I know its him!

Anyway I'm simply reporting that I am a wimpy parent too. After many months it was only last night I pointed out the usage on the Telecom broadband meter. The message has sunk in at last. I hope. :D

sahilcc7
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Use net limiter to limit the speed so he can barely stream a youtube video!

Metla
03-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Buy the boy a damn dirt bike and go riding.

before you know it he will discover women, late nights,cars and freedom, and you will pine for the son who sat at the computer and used up all the internets.

Strommer
03-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Update: After a family discussion, the 15 yr old son opted for the K9 program. He willingly said that YouTube should be blocked, and told us that his XBox 360 uses 1 Gb every 3 or 4 days. BTW, as instructed by his mum, I first put a password on WinXP (Administrator), also two passwords on the BIOS. Then I sat at the dining table with the son, his 17 yr old sister and the mum. It was a civil discussion, with no hard feelings. I was pleasantly surprised how agreeable the boy was, and felt sorry for him when he said there was nothing else to do (in response to his mum who said he should walk into town, bicycle, or whatever).

Sometime soon I will put the K9 program on the pc, allowing torrent connections to be made (up to 1 Sept :horrified ) during Slingshot's free grave-shift download time. Thursday is the boy's birthday, so his mum does not want to come down too hard too soon, especially seeing how reasonable he was tonight.

Thanks for all the advice. I will get back here with further updates.

BTW, I read out the comments from this :D thread, which the daughter and mum found amusing. :lol: