PDA

View Full Version : HP v Dell v IBM Server

WarNox
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey,

Just wondering what everyone's preference is on the 3 main server brands in NZ? We're constantly working with HP as they seem to be the only ones that have support in NZ but they seem to be a lot more expensive, and charge for stupid things like ILO.

I'd like to know how you find support with Dell or IBM? HP Support is really good and I'm yet to come across a situation where they didn't meet the 4 or 6hr on site SLA.

Thanks for any info :)

Barnabas
03-05-2011, 10:22 AM
All our servers are IBM and I think their support is quite good. Its based out of Australia which is good for language issues however they have local techs when a site visit is needed. Guys on the phone are actually very knowledgable although expect to get the upgrade your firmware speech if you arent running the latest versions. We have 24 / 7 4hr response and they have always met that target so no problems there.

Dell - used them in another place I worked and wouldnt use them again. Prices were good but support was awful. Language barriers, people working from scripts who were not technical at all, huge problems trying to get a tech out to look at anything. Admittedly this was a few years ago so not sure how they are now but not willing to find out.

Hope this helps.

SolMiester
03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Ummm, i dont go near Dell or IBM, although to be fair, I havent used IBM in over 8 yrs.....

inphinity
03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Dell support depends greatly on what level support you qualify for. Their regular helpdesk / support team is based out of... god knows where.. and language and technical abilities are limited.

Their ANZ ProSupport team are based in Sydney with a Wellington office, and have contract agents in main centres across NZ, and are fantastic to deal with in my experience, with prompt response (either phone or onsite) and in-depth knowledge of their products and technologies.

We have 2-hour 24/7 response on some of the Dell products we have, and 4-hr and NBD on others depending on how critical they are and am yet to have any of these times breached. We had a tech on-site within 90 minutes on Christmas Eve.

Until about a year ago I was primarily dealing with HP support, and at this stage, I would say I prefer Dell.

I haven't dealt with IBM support in a long time, so can't really comment.

WarNox
04-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Cool, thanks guys! So I guess you get what you pay for :)