PDA

View Full Version : Partition resize

QW.
28-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I would like to resize the Windows partition so that I can dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook.

At the moment there is one other active partition that I can see within my computer that is 117gb in size.

Is it possible to dual boot both OS's??

sahilcc7
28-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Yes, Just download Easeus Partition Manager Home, install it then right click on your windows partition and select shrink/resize. Move the slider or type in the text box how big you want your partition and click okay. Then click apply and you will have to reboot.
Then you would install ubuntu as normal by booting from disc.

You can even install inside windows (I think its for Ubuntu Netbook aswell) by running wubi installer within windows and install to your current windows drive and not lose any data. Just select how big you want your ubuntu install size to be. And to remove it you uninstall it from programs and features.

mikebartnz
28-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Yes, Just download Easeus Partition Manager Home, install it then right click on your windows partition and select shrink/resize. Move the slider or type in the text box how big you want your partition and click okay. Then click apply and you will have to reboot.
Then you would install ubuntu as normal by booting from disc.

You can even install inside windows (I think its for Ubuntu Netbook aswell) by running wubi installer within windows and install to your current windows drive and not lose any data. Just select how big you want your ubuntu install size to be. And to remove it you uninstall it from programs and features.
Forget the wubi installer. You should be able to just use the Ubuntu installer to partition. Being a net book are you going to use an external DVD or USB drive. Do a chkdsk and defrag before you begin.
The other partition is probably the rescue partition.

gary67
29-04-2011, 08:54 AM
You don't need to partition with modern linux it can be installed in a windows partition. It will require Grub to boot but is installed into a folder. If you don't want it anymore delete the folder reset the windows boot manager all done

SolMiester
29-04-2011, 11:40 AM
OP - you want to install Ubuntu on the same partition as windows?, i wouldnt recommend this, especially if you want to remove it later.....use the free space for a 2nd partition for linux!

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2011, 12:45 PM
And if youre going to install Ubuntu, you may as well get 11.04. Which has just come out today

QW.
29-04-2011, 07:12 PM
OP - you want to install Ubuntu on the same partition as windows?, i wouldnt recommend this, especially if you want to remove it later.....use the free space for a 2nd partition for linux!

No. Want to resize the second partition. Will probably install to the second partition which is 117gb.

QW.
29-04-2011, 07:19 PM
And if youre going to install Ubuntu, you may as well get 11.04. Which has just come out today

Cannot find the latest netbook version.

QW.
29-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Cannot find the latest netbook version.

Looks like that Ubuntu netbook has merged with the desktop version.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10735428