View Full Version : Getting Vista to boot from its own harddrive

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Ok

Computer has 2 harddrives,

harddrive 0 (master) has vista
harddrive 1 (slave) has a borked xp

both have also had various incarnations of linux on them in tri boot mode

The boot order is set as hd1 then hd0, (which works perfectly)

But I want to completely purge the xp install, and use that drive for storage

And thats where my problems begin

If i change the bootorder so the vista hd (hd0) is first, i get a grub error 17.

So I put the vista cd in reboot let it do its thing, I select repair when that option comes up, BUT it can't find Vista on the harddrive, so i can't get it to repair anything.

And thats where i am stuck

I just had a look in the computer management console

c: Vista (Boot, Page File, crash dump, primary partition)
d: XP (System, active, primary partition)
and i see Vista is not marked as active while xp is, so if i change Vista to active will that make a difference?

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Boot into Vista go to the orb, type msconfig, go to the boot tab. Highlight the XP entry delete it, reboot. Format the XP partition. Or get EasyBCD. Muck around with that

SolMiester
27-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Remove the XP drive which has the Boot loader, then do repair install from Vista DVD and repair install will establish the boot loader on the Vista drive

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2011, 02:48 PM
OK
1) Removed all entries from boot loader except vista
2) Rebooted with xp hd removed, grub error
3) Rebooted with Vista DVD it found hd this time, I selected startup repair it did its thing then rebooted back into the grub error
4) So i ran the dvd again ran startup repair and it tells me there is nothing wrong with it
5) So rebooted again still grub error
6) Re-orderd harddrives get grub error no matter which hd is set to boot first

:pf1mobmini:

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok this is getting stranger by the minute,
the only way i can now boot Vista is if I put the linux "system rescue cd" in my cd drive, reboot, when the rescue cd menu comes up, i select boot from second harddrive (xp) and it boots up with the vista boot loader appearing.

If I don't have the system rescue cd in, no matter what hd is set as first boot option i end up with the grub 17 error. aarggh

SolMiester
27-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Ekkk, I have no knowledge of grub loaders so cant help you there, you could try doing an install with Vista DVD and when it gets to select drive to install, delete existing system (100mb) partition and any other grub partition, select the drive to install to, and Vista should re-establish the system partition for you.....

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Ekkk, I have no knowledge of grub loaders so cant help you there, you could try doing an install with Vista DVD and when it gets to select drive to install, delete existing system (100mb) partition and any other grub partition, select the drive to install to, and Vista should re-establish the system partition for you.....

From everything i have read, startup repair should kill off grub, but it seems to be less grub and more cockroach

Snorkbox
27-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I could help and I only live about 24 Km away from the OP. But I have offered before and possibly Morgenmuffel does not want me to help for reasons best known to him/her.

As far as I know I have never met Him/Her to date and my offer is free of charge.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Check it out with teamviewer.

Snorkbox
27-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Check it out with teamviewer.

Sigh. You really mean that you will check it out with teamviewer or I should do that?

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2011, 06:14 PM
You can. :lol: Well, it'll save you going there to check it out. EasyBCD may or may not remove it too

Morgenmuffel
27-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I could help and I only live about 24 Km away from the OP. But I have offered before and possibly Morgenmuffel does not want me to help for reasons best known to him/her.

As far as I know I have never met Him/Her to date and my offer is free of charge.
Hi Snorkbox

Sorry if i have offended you, I have no problem accepting help, i don't recall turning down help or anything like that, but then again words written in a post don't ?sound? the same to other people as they do in my head, (in fact all the voices in my head agree on that), besides I am vehicularly challenged at the moment owing to a bereavement of the Holden type, so heading to Toke with my systems a bit of a mission.

Anyway I think the problems fixed itself, i swore at the computer kicked it, stormed off had dinner came back and its booted, and i just realised that I had taken the system rescue disk out, in preparation to try the vista disk again.

I am going to try a reboot now, so watch this space

--------------------------

Edit yippee its working

Snorkbox
28-04-2011, 09:21 AM
OK. All cool! I would have come to your place. It's easier than teamviewer IMHO especially when you have to use the phone as well to get people to do things. Added to that I have CDs, DVDs, USB sticks with tools on that I am used to using.

SolMiester
28-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Snorkbox

Sorry if i have offended you, I have no problem accepting help, i don't recall turning down help or anything like that, but then again words written in a post don't ?sound? the same to other people as they do in my head, (in fact all the voices in my head agree on that), besides I am vehicularly challenged at the moment owing to a bereavement of the Holden type, so heading to Toke with my systems a bit of a mission.

Anyway I think the problems fixed itself, i swore at the computer kicked it, stormed off had dinner came back and its booted, and i just realised that I had taken the system rescue disk out, in preparation to try the vista disk again.

I am going to try a reboot now, so watch this space

--------------------------

Edit yippee its working

Excellent, to you know what the solution was.....was it the Vista startup repair?

dugimodo
28-04-2011, 10:45 AM
go into vista and run easy BCD, under one of the menus it has the option to change your boot drive which will rebuild your boot files and recreate the boot menu.

This definately woks when removing an XP drive that had the boot files on it but you may have to research how to remove grub also if that persists. I remeber having issues getting rid of grub in the past, but I haven't used linux in a ver long time so the fix is sadly forgotten. I think if you boot of the windows CD, go into recovery console, and type FIXMBR it should remove grub, may need to specify the drive letter alos. Maybe someone who's used this more recently can comment.

Morgenmuffel
28-04-2011, 11:14 AM
go into vista and run easy BCD, under one of the menus it has the option to change your boot drive which will rebuild your boot files and recreate the boot menu..

Thats what i think I did in the end, honestly i tried so many different things, that i think it was a combination of getting them all in the right order.

Agent_24
28-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Aren't bootloaders fun? :p

I've had to do some funky stuff too.. last time with XP and Ubuntu, same drive, and for some reason both Grub and the NTLDR seemed to have committed suicide for no apparent reason!

jevans
30-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Kick Vista. Get Windows 7.

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Not everyone is rich like you