PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Basic OEM CD??

Tukapa
26-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi

I have a workmate who brought a 2nd hand laptop in for me to look at today - she is considering purchasing it.

I haven't had a good look - forgot to bring it home!

It is an Acer Aspire 5315 - Celeron CPU, 2GB Ram, 15" screen - pretty old and obsolete specs these days but in all reality it will probably do everything she wants.

It has a COA for Vista Basic OEM - but the previous owner has installed a pirated version of Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I could not see a recovery partition on the hard drive and of course there is no media provided. If she were to buy it then I would get the job of reinstalling the original OS and downloading and installing all the drivers.

Will any Vista Basic CD do the trick? I would probably have to end up downloading an ISO from the net and I see they are around 3GB so if I get teh wrong one it will chew through my data cap pretty quick.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in the differing ISO's etc, or if anyone has an OEM Vista Basic image that I could get sent in the mail (I would pay for postage, blank disc etc of course :))

Thanks.

Alex B
27-04-2011, 12:12 AM
It doesn't have to be basic (all versions are on the disk) and I used a retail disk to install an OEM version the other day. So im going to say OEM or Retail disk will be fine.

wainuitech
27-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Expanding out what Alex posted:

You load up the Vista DVD as per normal, until you get to the point of entering the Product key - DONT enter the key, also untick the box about automatic activation, click next to carry on, you will get a warning , just agree, and you will be given all the versions of Vista.

Select Basic, and carry on. Once the OS is loaded, you then right click Computer, down the bottom change product key, enter your key, then you can activate it.

You may get a warning saying this type of key cant be activated - so you need to phone activate it. (this happens more on Name brand PC's).

pcuser42
27-04-2011, 09:55 AM
You load up the Vista DVD as per normal, until you get to the point of entering the Product key - DONT enter the key, also untick the box about automatic activation, click next to carry on, you will get a warning , just agree, and you will be given all the versions of Vista.

From past experience (and IIRC :p) you can enter a key during Setup: Windows automatically determines what version to install from the inputted key.

wainuitech
27-04-2011, 10:10 AM
From past experience (and IIRC :p) you can enter a key during Setup: Windows automatically determines what version to install from the inputted key.

Sometimes yes, sometimes No - thats why i do it the way I mentioned - always works that way. Because once you enter the key you cant go backwards if it doesn't accept it, you need to start again.;)