PDA

View Full Version : Best Wireless Router

Grampsey
26-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi Guys, just about to upgrade my wireless router. Need a reliable one, is "N" suffix and dual band the way to go ?? Some reviews are not the best for some models. I live on the Coromandel so not the best reception area. Your thoughts please. G.

utopian201
26-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi, unless I have misunderstood something, why would your geographical location affect the reception of a wifi router?

Grampsey
26-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Oh it's probably me still trying to get to grips with these router thingys. I was told that my wireless network would operate better with routers with the "N" suffix rather than older routers with suffix "g" suffix I have ye olde D-Link DSL-G604T at the moment. Any comments welcome for this olde novice. Cheers G,

utopian201
26-04-2011, 06:34 PM
What will be using the router? notebooks, smartphones etc?

N goes faster than G, but the range is slightly worse (5ghz waves don't go through obstacles as well as 2.4ghz)

Dualband means it can operate in both 5 and 2.4ghz.

Simultaneous dualband means it can operate both 5 and 2.4 at the same time. So the typical setup would be N on 5ghz and G on 2.4ghz. Keeping N and G separate stops them from interfering with each other, so the result is increased performance.

To make use of N, your clients will need to support N. To use 5ghz, your clients need to support 5ghz as well.

Depending on what you want, the 'best' ones (top wireless speed) are (in no order)
Linksys e4200, netgear wndr3700, wndr4000, d-link DIR-685, DIR-665

These are the highest end halo models. Or do you just want something that gets you connected (eg basic N)?

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Try the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn, it's a good price and a solid router too! Huge improvement over your current DLink gear!

:pf1mobmini:

Grampsey
26-04-2011, 08:42 PM
many thanks for that guys, we have a couple of laptops on the wireless network, which can at times be a bit slow. I will go work your suggestions. Cheers G.