PDA

View Full Version : Occasional Blue Screen Problem

zqia014
25-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

Ever since I've started using a wireless modem, I've been getting the occasional blue screen on my Desktop and Sony Laptop. Both are very new and quite highly spec'ed.

The modem is wired to my desktop, the laptop actually runs wireless.

What do you could be the issue? I don't have too much to say to be honest and the modem is the only change in the past few months.

Last time my laptop did it there was a fairly loud fan noise, when it shut and and restarted there was a loud pop, sounded like a fuse has blown or something. That got me quite worried it's a $3,500 laptop.

Any ideas?

Your help is much appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Install this on both (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html). Run it, what does it say is the cause?

zqia014
25-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks.

This is what it says, everytime it's the same. It just happened about 10 minute ago.

Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap
Caused by: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+71f00
File Description: NT Kernel & System

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Is Zonealarm on both of these? This can cause that stop error with that file. If it is uninstall it. What version of windows is installed on both? If Windows 7, is SP1 installed on both?

Is Mcafee installed?? This can also crash systems

zqia014
25-04-2011, 10:28 PM
On both computers I have Avast and ZoneAlarm.

Maybe I'll try uninstalling ZoneAlarm?

But honestly this problem never happened before the new modem was installed. Maybe now that the laptop is on wireless, it somehow interacts with the desktop in some bad way?

Oh yes Win 7, service pack 1 as far as I know. I've always used Zone Alarm and Avast, ran them both together for several years on Windows XP SP2 with no problems, but back then I didn't have the laptop and used a normal wired modem.

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Uninstall Zonealarm on both of them, thats probably the cause. I would just use Windows 7 firewall its good enough (And its better than XP's firewall). Avast is just the antivirus right? It doesnt inc the firewall?

zqia014
25-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes Avast is the Antivirus only. I'll uninstall it and see how it goes.

It's very random you never know when it's going to happen. Maybe twice in a day, or maybe not for a few days at a time.

Snorkbox
25-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes Avast is the Antivirus only. I'll uninstall it and see how it goes.

It's very random you never know when it's going to happen. Maybe twice in a day, or maybe not for a few days at a time.

So what are you going to do about ZA?

zqia014
25-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Sorry I meant to say I'm going to uninstall ZA and see how it goes.

Snorkbox
25-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry I meant to say I'm going to uninstall ZA and see how it goes.

Well that may be better. Or not. Avast is not all that bad so I hear but maybe change to MSE but some don't like that either. Or Avira for antvirus maybe. Personally I use MSE running under Win7 and XP SP3 as I dual boot and no problems for me.