PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Question

Poppa John
23-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi All.

Can somebody explain "Monthly Bandwidth Allowance"? What is it & is it different to the GB on the ISPs plan one is on? TIA PJ

dugimodo
23-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Same thing, bit misnamed perhaps. "Bandwidth" actually refers to the speed so doesn't really fit in with allowance which is how much of it you get to use before either being capped (ie reduced speed) or charged for excess usage.

Assuming of course I understood the question correctly.

Snorkbox
24-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Hi PJ,

I suspect that you may be asking about if you have a web site with files available that people download like books etc or even general traffic you are paying for hosting the allowance is set at a certain figure.

If your web site became very popular for some reason then you go over the hosting traffic allowance the said company may well want you to pay extra for the traffic.

This has nothing to do with your ISP and data cap unless your web site is hosted with the same ISP which can't supply free hosting that will do what you want.

I'm pleased you asked that question and others may be better able to explain the really tech bits. But please explain to others what you are on about. Or what you are trying to do.

bevy121
24-04-2011, 12:42 PM
actually these days, monthly bandwidth used with a host is not a problem - mostly now you will get pretty much unlimited bandwidth and disc space even with a very basic hosting plan.

The main thing you have to watch with the basic plans is cpu usage on the server.
If you're using a lot of scripts that chew up cpu load, that's when the host will get sour real quick.
(over 1 % of cpu load usualy!)
But the old days of running out of your allocated 500 meg or 1 gig bandwidth halfway thru the month are loooong gone thankfully!

Having said that, I think PJ is meaning the monthly datacaps of isp's - and if they differ, how they differ...

Poppa John
25-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I think I have got it! There are two seperate components.

ISP data cap. In our case 2 GB. Speed up & down according to our plan & how fast our telephone line will carry data.

Webhost bandwidth. The speed that they will allow data to pass, if you if you exeed this you may have to pay for the extra.

Is that it? PJ

bevy121
25-04-2011, 06:24 PM
almost ;)

webhost bandwidth has nothing to do with speed tho, it is the amount of data transferred thru your hosted website account for the month, just the same as your own monthly 2 gig data cap is with your ISP.

I know... why do the hosts call it bandwidth then!

it just is lol

and if you exceed the limit, then you're site will not show, just a page informing the the site has exceeded it's data transfer allocation for the month, please return after that...

(but like I said, there shouldn't really be any limit these days, or if there is, it should be in the hundreds of gigs minimum)

Snorkbox
25-04-2011, 07:01 PM
almost ;)

webhost bandwidth has nothing to do with speed tho, it is the amount of data transferred thru your hosted website account for the month, just the same as your own monthly 2 gig data cap is with your ISP.

I know... why do the hosts call it bandwidth then!

it just is lol

and if you exceed the limit, then you're site will not show, just a page informing the the site has exceeded it's data transfer allocation for the month, please return after that...

(but like I said, there shouldn't really be any limit these days, or if there is, it should be in the hundreds of gigs minimum)

What's the story if you use free Web Hosting then?

The Error Guy
25-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Indeed, the webhosts (for some obscure reason) refer to bandwith as the ammount of data you can transfer between the server and your clients. Generally (since they are servers) they have high speed connections that adjust the network load in order to provide the best performance.

Safari
25-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Indeed, the webhosts (for some obscure reason) refer to bandwith as the ammount of data you can transfer between the server and your clients. Generally (since they are servers) they have high speed connections that adjust the network load in order to provide the best performance.

Actually with NZ ISPs anyway it is normal to pay for an amount of disk space or web hosting space and and traffic is unlimited. Bandwith is not usually mentioned at all.

Poppa John
25-04-2011, 10:12 PM
OK I have got it now, thanks everybody. PJ

Snorkbox
25-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Actually with NZ ISPs anyway it is normal to pay for an amount of disk space or web hosting space and and traffic is unlimited. Bandwith is not usually mentioned at all.

But what about free hosting? Like Orcon if you still have same, and PJ does, or http://www.000webhost.com/ With the latter it says 100 M/b traffic so if you were to create a site there, which I have already for PJ, would that 100 M/B be enforced and you would be required to go to a paid hosting plan? The 000 plan is not what I would recommend but I would like PJ to have an independent opinion. Orcon will not allow file downloads from thier free hosting.

I'm not trying to be difficult but just helping PJ.

bevy121
25-04-2011, 11:10 PM
The 000webhost you are refering to doesn't say '100 M/b traffic'
It says

Free account...
Disk Space - 1500 MB
Data Transfer - 100 GB / month

you'd have to have a $hit load of traffic doing lots of downloads to use anywhere more than 10 gig a month, never mind 100 gig!

but once again, with any hosts like this it would be the CPU load you were producing on the server with scripts etc that would be the main concern.
(more than 1% load is frowned on usualy)

Snorkbox
25-04-2011, 11:32 PM
The 000webhost you are refering to doesn't say '100 M/b traffic'
It says

you'd have to have a $hit load of traffic doing lots of downloads to use anywhere more than 10 gig a month, never mind 100 gig!

but once again, with any hosts like this it would be the CPU load you were producing on the server with scripts etc that would be the main concern.
(more than 1% load is frowned on usualy)

Agreed. And I would think that PJ would not generate anywhere near that amount of traffic as his site can't be found using Google to date. :)

Also I'm not asking how to get his site up at the top of the list or to promote same. It's over to PJ on that one.

The Error Guy
26-04-2011, 01:40 AM
000 got a wee bit annoyed with my slow SQL scripts :p

IMHO, 000 are one of the best free ones out. idk about orcon hosting, good ISP though. I guess with all the free cloud or dropbox type services around today it doesn't really matter about the download restriction, just post a link to skydrive/cloud whatever

Poppa John
26-04-2011, 11:32 AM
You're a nice bunch of people, do you know that. :thanks PJ

Snorkbox...Incidentally. how many MB in space am I using at the moment? PJ

Poppa John
26-04-2011, 12:05 PM
To those of you who have a website. How do YOU attract viewers to the site? Keywords, Blogs, What? Ta. PJ

Poppa John
26-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Agreed. And I would think that PJ would not generate anywhere near that amount of traffic as his site can't be found using Google to date. :)

Also I'm not asking how to get his site up at the top of the list or to promote same. It's over to PJ on that one.

However..........How DO I get to the top of the list on Google? PJ

Snorkbox
26-04-2011, 12:36 PM
The keywords have to be inserted in the web site along with meta tags etc.

Search engine optimisation is a whole subject just on its own.

Chilling_Silence
26-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Best quick advice I can give: It's more about making the content attractive to your readers than it is about a few single tags.

There's obviously a fair bit more to it than that, but if you're going to do the basics, that's the best I can tell you. Search engines like Google *are* smart.

It's also worth noting that both you and every other man & his dog out there are trying for that "first few spots", so yeah ... Don't be too discouraged if you don't attain it, and don't "expect" that you WILL get it either ;-)