PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 5230

bk T
23-04-2011, 12:36 PM
What you guys think of this phone (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4db2106f010721122740c0a87f3b0658/Product/View/E4043)?

At just $199.00, it looks great.

Any current users out there would like to commend?

bk T
23-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Or this Nokia X6 (https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/shop?p_p_id=konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__spage=%2FS electProd.do%3FprodId%3D68&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet_prodId=68&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__sorig=%2FS electCat.do%3FcatId%3D21) @$299.00?

Cato
23-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't buy a Nokia, Symbian is dead... Gotta go android.

bk T
23-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't buy a Nokia, Symbian is dead... Gotta go android.

Agree with you on this but which phone would you recommend in terms of features and price?

LGs and Samsungs are out as I had nasty experiences with Korean products although they 'look' real good - only their looks!

Cato
23-04-2011, 02:01 PM
LGs and Samsungs are out as I had nasty experiences with Korean products although they 'look' real good - only their looks!

Samsung makes the best phones on market these days...

For your budget range, I'd get this: http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/mobile-phones/smartphones/android/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-mini-pearl-white-mobile-phone.html

bk T
23-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Samsung makes the best phones on market these days...

For your budget range, I'd get this: http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/mobile-phones/smartphones/android/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-mini-pearl-white-mobile-phone.html

This phone looks impressive.

But what about their after sales service? Read quite a lot about their bad after sales service.

Cato
23-04-2011, 02:23 PM
This phone looks impressive.

But what about their after sales service? Read quite a lot about their bad after sales service.

Pretty much everyone I know who is into gadgetry has a imported phone. I don't recall anyone having problems.

They'll fix you up if it breaks down, not the fastest service of the lot though... But the reality is, the chances of something going wrong is pretty low in the first place...

Edit: Wrong link:

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobileDetails.jsp?skuId=sku8540016&voucherCode=&selectionKey=mobile&menuKey=

That's quite a difference.

bot
24-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Either:

Buy a Windows Phone 7 from HTC/Nokia when they come out
Buy a HTC/Samsung android
Buy a cheapie android from the 2degrees store

That's what I'd do anyway...

The Error Guy
24-04-2011, 06:27 PM
If you get a touch screen avoid like the plague resistive touch. It is evil!!!

If you are looking for a higher end android from Samsung the Galaxy S is very nice and can be flashed to 2.3. most devices are sold running 2.1 which can then be upgraded to 2.2. Most of the low end android phones are unlikely to get 2.2/3 updates (I may be wrong there though)

bot
24-04-2011, 06:52 PM
If you get a touch screen avoid like the plague resistive touch. It is evil!!!

Had that problem with a Nokia 5800. Drove me nuts

If you are looking for a higher end android from Samsung the Galaxy S is very nice and can be flashed to 2.3. most devices are sold running 2.1 which can then be upgraded to 2.2. Most of the low end android phones are unlikely to get 2.2/3 updates (I may be wrong there though

Droid 2.2. (https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/shop?p_p_id=konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__spage=%2FS electProd.do%3FprodId%3D73&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet_prodId=73&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__sorig=%2FS electCat.do%3FcatId%3D21) $249

Another Droid 2.2. (https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/shop?p_p_id=konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__spage=%2FS electProd.do%3FprodId%3D85&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet_prodId=85&_konakart_portlet_WAR_konakart_portlet__sorig=%2FS howSearchByManufacturerResults.do) $549

Nomad
24-04-2011, 07:09 PM
fwiw ... you might want to get a Android not that I like them v v much, just cos the software are supported easier. many software that you might find useful that due to lack of demand they only make them for iOS or Android.

*to fully explolit software you should have mobile data at least prepay 50MB/100MB per month ... or you would just be using calls/text on a fancy phone.

I have a Nokia. You might want to go onto Ovi.com and check that the models you are considering is supported widely. I have a E series which is a business series and a lot of the proggies are not supported on it incl big ones like Lonely Planet City Guides. AirNZ Grab a Seat just came thru on my model ...

One other thing to keep in mind is that, with Ovi maps you are not able to view the map on the computer and then sync it to the handset after saving your favorites (or POIs). You have to do it all on the handset afaik ...

But Nokia map good thing is that it works offline (without a internet connection) for free, if you need turn by turn navigation you can just pay $10 or so for a 7 day subscription. All the maps are free and they have all the POIs like ATMs, restaurants, train stations, hotels, petrol stations, parking areas etc .... AFAIK they are a lot smaller than Google Maps. 50MB covers all of NZ I think. With a avg memory card you could possibly put half the globe on it ...

bk T
24-04-2011, 08:49 PM
fwiw ... you might want to get a Android not that I like them v v much, just cos the software are supported easier. many software that you might find useful that due to lack of demand they only make them for iOS or Android.

*to fully explolit software you should have mobile data at least prepay 50MB/100MB per month ... or you would just be using calls/text on a fancy phone.

I have a Nokia. You might want to go onto Ovi.com and check that the models you are considering is supported widely. I have a E series which is a business series and a lot of the proggies are not supported on it incl big ones like Lonely Planet City Guides. AirNZ Grab a Seat just came thru on my model ...

One other thing to keep in mind is that, with Ovi maps you are not able to view the map on the computer and then sync it to the handset after saving your favorites (or POIs). You have to do it all on the handset afaik ...

But Nokia map good thing is that it works offline (without a internet connection) for free, if you need turn by turn navigation you can just pay $10 or so for a 7 day subscription. All the maps are free and they have all the POIs like ATMs, restaurants, train stations, hotels, petrol stations, parking areas etc .... AFAIK they are a lot smaller than Google Maps. 50MB covers all of NZ I think. With a avg memory card you could possibly put half the globe on it ...

Their GPS Navigation works brilliantly, and it's free download of maps. My friend has got one and he likes it.

urbanguerilla
25-04-2011, 06:50 PM
But Nokia map good thing is that it works offline (without a internet connection) for free, if you need turn by turn navigation you can just pay $10 or so for a 7 day subscription.

My 5800 XpressMusic's Free OVi maps work a treat in NZ, now if only I could get it to work properly whilst overseas.

Offline mode with NO data charges is also a double plus!