PDA

View Full Version : Win XP recovery

jupiter1
22-04-2011, 05:57 PM
A friend of mine has recently trashed her operating sys and needs to do a recovery.

She was not supplied with a source disk when she bought her HP Pavilion 521A.

As only 33 gig is available on a 40 gig HDD I assume that there is a hidden partition with the recovery source on it.

Does anyone know what the "secret" key combination is to do this please.
I've tried all the obvious ones to no avail.

Cheers......

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Its hidden. Show all files and system / OS files.

jupiter1
22-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Its hidden. Show all files and system / OS files.

Hi Speedy, sorry, not sure what the above means, "show all files & system o/s
System o?s is (was) WinXP home edition.
Can't show much of anything, it won't boot.

My daughter had a similar problem with her toshiba, we had to hold down the 0 (zero) key at power up to recover her machine.
I was wondering if there is something similar with these HP's.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Connect it to a working system. Might be F10 / F11/ F12 / F2. Should say on the post screen

jupiter1
22-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Speedy, can't do much now until Sunday.
Will re-post after that.
Cheers

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 07:59 PM
HP's are normally F10

pctek
23-04-2011, 01:55 PM
You may also access HP Recovery Manager at any time by restarting the computer and pressing F11 repeatedly before the Windows load screen appears.
On the System Recovery panel, click Next .
PC Recovery will display "Backing up user data and settings."
PC Recovery will begin recovering Windows XP and application files.
PC Recovery will begin recovering user data and settings.

jupiter1
24-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Connect it to a working system. Might be F10 / F11/ F12 / F2. Should say on the post screen

Hi Speedy,
No luck with any of the key combinations you gave, or wainuitech and pctech in their follow up posts.

I think I may have used the wrong word (recovery)
I probably should have said re-install.

Apparently F2 takes the m/c to the safe mode of loading from which "restore" to an earlier know good check point can be activated.
Unable to test this as op system (win xp) seems trashed thus needing a re-instal.

Further ideas will be very welcome.

Cheers,

PENTIUM
24-04-2011, 09:07 PM
F2 works for me when I service these critters.

jupiter1
24-04-2011, 09:21 PM
F2 works for me when I service these critters.

Hi,
F2 works for a RE-INSTALL of the op system ?

Alex B
24-04-2011, 09:34 PM
HP's are normally F10

If you're trying to access the bios yes. Pretty sure its F11.

jupiter1
24-04-2011, 09:58 PM
If you're trying to access the bios yes. Pretty sure its F11.

Hi,
I tried F11 earlier on.
It took me to the safe mode which doesn't help me much.

The op sys is trashed so I need a RE-Install not a REcovery.

As There was no source disk supplied with the h/w system I assume that there is a "hidden" partition on the hard drive and a "secret" key combination to access this.

See my origonal post.
cheers,

Not

wainuitech
24-04-2011, 11:52 PM
If you're trying to access the bios yes. Pretty sure its F11. Usually for HP's/Compaq the BIOS is either F1 or F2 depending on the model.

It also depends if the recovery partition is Ok and not damaged, or has not been corrupted / wiped.
F10 or F11 ( once again depending on the model) is often the recovery partition in laptops and some Desktops -- See number 3 (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/laptop-recovery-instructions-162525.html) along with HP instructions from another site (http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-recovery).

Sometimes the recovery partition has to be marked as active other wise it wont work, other times, depending on models, you may have to hold down another key, Eg the Alt + F?

From HP's Site Recovery options (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=83514&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145#N288) - different model, but very similar - F10 along with two other ways to enter it..