PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu 10.10 alongside Windows 7 on laptop.

goodiesguy
22-04-2011, 04:48 PM
How do i go about installing ubuntu on my compaq presario c300 laptop alongside my windows 7 installation? how do i install it and set it up so i can still boot into windows if i want to?

also, what do i do if i want to remove ubuntu at a later date?

thanks.

Erayd
22-04-2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

goodiesguy
22-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Done, i figured it out, and im typing this in ubuntu.

Theres a problem :(

i've got it connected to the net via network cable from our router.

at the moment ubuntu says "Wireless disabled" and before i plugged in the network plug into the ethernet it said it was missing firmware or something,

So how can i get my wireless going on ubuntu? as im really liking ubuntu and am thinking of getting rid of windows.

Once again, my laptop is Compaq Presario C300 (C302TU).

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Look on the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/)

Erayd
22-04-2011, 05:50 PM
...it said it was missing firmware or something...Well was it missing firmware, or was it something? You're not going to get much help unless you provide a bit more info.

So how can i get my wireless going on ubuntu?By figuring out why it's not working now, and taking the steps necessary to rectify the situation.

goodiesguy
22-04-2011, 05:55 PM
it definitally said firmware missing.

Also, how do i update flash player? (im new to linux ok. sorry for all the questions, but i know i can get decent answers from this forum)

Erayd
22-04-2011, 06:00 PM
it definitally said firmware missing.Which wifi card / chipset are you using? Depending on which one you've got there are a few different ways of getting it - some are automated.

goodiesguy
22-04-2011, 06:10 PM
It's just the one thats came with the laptop, i have no idea of what it is, only that it is what came with this laptop.

Erayd
22-04-2011, 06:18 PM
It's just the one thats came with the laptop, i have no idea of what it is, only that it is what came with this laptop.Mmm, problem is we need to know *exactly* what it is, as that model of laptop could come with any of several different chipsets. The WiFi vendor is likely to be Broadcom, but could also be Intel.

If it's a Broadcom one, then the fwcutter tool will automate the process for you.

Could you post the output of 'sudo lshw -class network' please?

Edit: Also the output of 'sudo lspci', if your card doesn't show up in lshw's output.

goodiesguy
22-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Its ok, it after installing updates, it automactically found the driver.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to install stuff.

Erayd
22-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Its ok, it after installing updates, it automactically found the driver.Oh good - I assumed you'd already done this :D.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to install stuff.Take a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware) and here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware).

If you've never installed software on Linux before, you're in for a pleasant surprise - as a rule, it's *much* easier than on Windows.

PC builder
22-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Upgrading to 11.04 any good?

Bobh
24-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I bought the PC & Tech Authority May 2011 issue from Pak n Save on Saturday. There is a Feature in it called 'Ubuntu: a Complete Guide'.

The magazine costs $9.95 and you could find this article quite useful. There are 10 pages dedicated to Ubuntu. Well worth the price I think.

mookster1
24-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Installing stuff - that's done via the command prompt and is (sadly) very different to installing programs under Windows (but don't panic, it can be done by n00bs such as myself who doesn't use Ubuntu as much as I'd like.) First, there's the Ubuntu Software Centre; this is your first stop for anything. This is just like installing in Windows, but you search for software and it finds its "dependencies" (programs it relies on to work) that you don't have. It then downloads them. The second, more intimidating approach, is to use the shell. You navigate to the folder with the installation stuff (and usually a readme - called this for a very good reason) and usually run a script called shell.sh (once again, read the readme.) It'll check for dependencies etc. and the other stuff you have to do (really not all that difficult) will be in the program's readme. Good luck! :)