PDA

View Full Version : "An unauthorized change was made to Windows"

Beemer
22-04-2011, 10:34 AM
This morning when I turned on my computer I got the following error message:

An unauthorized change was made to Windows.
You will no longer receive notifications, including those about your licence or activation. Use the link below to find out how to fix your system.
Error: 0xC004D401
Description:
The security processor reported a system file mismatch error.
Learn more online [which takes you to a Genuine Windows website.]

I have genuine products and the only thing I did yesterday was an Apple software update.

I searched online and found it could be due to a couple of things, but the explanations of what to do were quite complicated (and in some cases the person with the problem had done certain diagnostic tests that I don't know how to do).

Any easy explanations on how to fix it? If it needs fixing? I realise it's likely to be something I've updated recently, but the error message keeps popping up and it's quite annoying.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Have a read of this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931699/)

There maybe a program on the hdd (that you've installed), that isnt compatible with whatever version of windows you're using

Beemer
22-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Not quite the same unfortunately - that refers to unauthorised changes being made to the Windows licence - this just says to Windows.

I haven't installed anything new, just updated any Apple software (iTunes, etc) and joined YouSendIt.

Never had this message come up before and by the sound of it, once it does, you keep getting the pop-up!

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Is Mcafee on this ? (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53863&cat=CORP_HOST_INTRUSION_PREVENTION_8_0&actp=LIST&showDraft=false)

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Have a look at This web site (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-the-system-diagnostic-report-as-a-troubleshooting-aid/697) - it will tell you have to do a Diagnostic Report, once done look for the file mismatch error in the Diagnostic Results - that will tell you what is causing the problem.

It could be one or two of MANY possible causes, and without the info, its only guessing as to whats cause the error.

Edited: waiting for the report is a LONG 60 seconds :D

Beemer
22-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Ta - and I just got back to the computer and found another error message (it popped up the first time too, but forgot about it):

The backup application could not start due to an internal error.
(0xC004F027)
Please check your system configuration and try again.

I'll have a look at that website and see if I can figure out what to do.
I have Avast, not McAfee, if that's what you're asking.

Beemer
22-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Right, got a big long report but am not sure how to interpret it. I'll put the edited results below.
Under error it has: A service is reported as having an unexpected error code... resolution is to restart the service.
Informational: D: has less than 15% free disk space (this is my recovery drive)... perform a disk clean up.
Symptom: The Security Center reports that User Access Control is disabled... enable user access control.

I assumed I would find that in the Control Panel, but when I click on that in the start menu, it starts to appear then disappears. I've tried it several times with the same result - I can't open the Control Panel.

When I clicked to get more information under the User Access Control part, it just opened a website for Windows Vista Help - not sure where to go from there.

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 12:00 PM
The control panel not opening is a start. Meaning there is at least something wrong and you're not going nuts :D yet :p

You can try opening the User account control -- click start, type in UAC, select user account control, and hopefully it will open.

if that doesn't work, have a read of This article Post #8 (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/17647-unable-access-control-panel-window-opens-then-closes-automatically.html)

Try this - open a command prompt - click start, type in cmd right click it in the results, type in sfc /scannow - press enter -- go and do the lawns , clean the house or something it may take a while to run.
This will check for damaged system files, it may fix them, may not. There is a possibility as well that an infection of some kind it in there, as they can cause the control panel to malfunction.

BTW- I'm assuming your OS is Vista ? -- all the commands I posted are from W7, but should work in Vista as well.

Beemer
22-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I just did a restart (after doing a disk clean up on all my drives - something happened only for the C drive, not the others) - and didn't get the error message when it all came back up - and I could open the Control Panel again!

Yes, I'm using Vista.

I'll do what you suggested and see if that helps too, ta.

Beemer
22-04-2011, 12:22 PM
It has finished and says: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS\log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS\log

I must confess I have no idea what that end bit means or where to find them!

Beemer
22-04-2011, 01:08 PM
All seems to be fine, except I can no longer click on links in emails! I just tried and got an error message that says: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

What gives with this?

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 01:31 PM
You'll find windows has become corrupted from something, its tried to fix it on its own.

The restrictions - possible fix - By default links in Email use IE. Open IE, go to Tools/ Internet Options - programs Tab - Make IE the default Browser.

If its still playing up, reset IE to its defaults: ( Copied from MS Site saves me writing it all out :p )

Highlighted below - set to what email program you are using.

Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8

Start Internet Explorer 7.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
Click the Programs tab, and then click Set programs.
Click Set Default Programs.
Click to select Microsoft Outlook, and then click Set this program as default.
Click OK, and then close the Default Programs dialog box.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Programs tab, and then click Make default under Default web browser.
Click OK.

"If" you want to look --

The CBS log, is exactly where it says C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS\log
just looked at mine, and its 12MB :waughh: So if you open it, look for the error its reporting - that may give some clue to what sfc cant fix.

Beemer
22-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Mine is 17.6MB! And there are HEAPS of errors!

I'm not using IE by the way, I use Firefox. But I am using Outlook.

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Doesn't matter what browser you would normally use, set IE to the default first, then see if the links work, If they do, then you can change FF to your default when it opens. Outlook generally needs IE, even if its working in the background.

Have a read of This forum (http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/859882.htm) as well - theres a link to a possible fix, in #2 & 3 Same links) same instructions I posted earlier BUT it also has a "fixit" so it may be quicker than doing it manually.

One other thing that does cause problems with links is Google Chrome - it tried to take over everything , and usually causes a sh1t load of trouble :mad:

Just depending what the corruption was caused by and what other damage (the errors)will depend if the above fixes work.

Beemer
22-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I uninstalled Google Chrome as I didn't like it.

I'll try what you suggest, as long as I don't have to continue using IE, I hate it!

The error messages seemed to be the similar versions of the same two, but multiple instances - here's an example:
2011-04-22 09:01:54, Error Failed to find the CixTarget for Container package_153_for_kb951072~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0 .2.0.cat
2011-04-22 09:01:54, Error DpxException hr=0x80070002 code=0x020109

Beemer
22-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I did what you posted, but when I tried clicking on the link in the email, it still gave me that same message. And when I closed IE and clicked on Firefox, it opened as per normal and didn't say it wasn't my default browser - what did I do wrong?

I tried it all over again but it keeps taking me to a customisation page but won't let me use the radio buttons to make choices! God I hate IE!

And when I did a restart, Control Panel won't open again - and I still can't click on links in emails!

Beemer
22-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Now it won't even run the back up which started while I was doing this, so something's gone really wrong! I still can't get into the Control Panel and I keep getting told I don't have administrative control or something!

I looked at that post you referred me to about the Control Panel but when I did as it said, there was no Software Licensing on the list!

wainuitech
22-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmm looking at the error message, it looks like it got something to do with the revised daylight saving time laws.

The KB number "the CixTarget for Container package_153_for_kb951072"

These ARE only a guess :nerd:, - try putting in the KB again Download from MS (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=0F3D73D2-A9B2-4A7F-A817-9686983976FD&displaylang=en) Along with the error "Error DpxException hr=0x80070002 " Possible fix (http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/9194.aspx) - make sure the time / date is correct as well.

Edited: your data backed up ? - if not then do so now. Due to all the errors it "May" need a repair reinstall as minimum. One thing I have found since Vista came out , when it gets corrupted for what ever reason, sometimes its not repairable, its a real pain. I've had two customers Vista's PC's like that last week, just kept on getting worse.

IF required Heres how (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html).

Beemer
22-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I got sick of it all so left it to do a system restore. If that hasn't fixed it, I want a Mac!

Thought the money from selling my bike would buy that but it went on bills and the next lot of cash is going on laser eye surgery, so roll on Lotto!

Typed that on the iPad - just restarted the PC and it's all fine, touch wood. If it resumes the error messages today or in a few days, I'll let you know, and go through what you advised in your last post. Thanks!

Fishb8
25-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I got sick of it all so left it to do a system restore. If that hasn't fixed it, I want a Mac!

Thought the money from selling my bike would buy that but it went on bills and the next lot of cash is going on laser eye surgery, so roll on Lotto!

Typed that on the iPad - just restarted the PC and it's all fine, touch wood. If it resumes the error messages today or in a few days, I'll let you know, and go through what you advised in your last post. Thanks!

This is all very familiar - my BIL brought me his Compaq - vista basic, with exactly the same errors and issues - couldn't get on internet - limited connectivity!
I saved all his personal files and did a full restore - there were no system restore points to turn back to. His lappy is all hunky dory now but an age of windows updates to get through...

BTW - are you on Kiwibiker and did you have a BMS CS650? I still ride one of those and still enjoy it!

Beemer
13-05-2011, 05:24 PM
This is all very familiar - my BIL brought me his Compaq - vista basic, with exactly the same errors and issues - couldn't get on internet - limited connectivity!
I saved all his personal files and did a full restore - there were no system restore points to turn back to. His lappy is all hunky dory now but an age of windows updates to get through...

BTW - are you on Kiwibiker and did you have a BMS CS650? I still ride one of those and still enjoy it!

Yep, that was me on Kiwibiker - sold the BMW F650CS and bought a Suzuki Goose, but just sold that a few months ago too. First time without a bike in about 13 years!

Just struck this same problem again and a system restore is doing diddly-squat. I've tried twice, with two different restore points and while I have the control panel, the only drive showing is the CD/DVD drive - not the four photo ports the computer has (although it did recognise the pen drive when I plugged that in).

I can probably load the photos using the USB cables but it's a pain in the proverbial. Roll on the contract I'm working on finishing and I will buy a new computer!

feersumendjinn
13-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Bad sectors/corruption on your HDD?

Beemer
14-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Bad sectors/corruption on your HDD?

Sorry, not even sure what that means (not a computer person here!), but when I booted the computer this morning, everything was fine again. I don't know what's causing the problem but it's the second time it's done it and I am getting a tad fed up because at the time, nothing seems to work to restore it.

I am still keen to get a Mac, but will probably talk to a few knowledgeable people first before I do anything.

feersumendjinn
14-05-2011, 01:55 PM
These may help you
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3
http://www.ehow.com/how_113636_fix-sectors-hardfix-sectors-hard.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector
(I presented that possibility in my previous post as a guess, but strongly recommend you do a hard drive error check :)).

Where bad sectors become an issue is when previously usable sectors become damaged due to disk error. Any data on these sectors is in danger of being corrupted or destroyed. The operating system has no way of automatically compensating for this loss, potentially leading to data corruption on a larger scale and system instability if the affected data was crucial.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Run this

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

See if finds any rootkits. It looks like this error can also be caused by a rootkit