PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptop & pre-installed software?

MPG
21-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi folks

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. A few days ago I purchased an HP ProBook 4520s (the i5-480M) to replace an old and rather heavy Asus laptop. I seem to recall that many manufacturers load lots of usefull/useless software on their machines. Is this the case with HP as well? I would like the machine to be a nippy as possible so I wonder whether it is safe to remove some of the 'extras', particularly if they are likely to impact on performance. If so, what do you suggest I remove? I will probably use MSSE + Avast + Malwarebytes + SuperAntispyware (unless adbised otherwise), so any free/trial security software could be removed. The machine will be used for some surfing the net, email, word processing, some Excel, SmartDraw, PSE, etc. No games, movies, music downloads, etc.

A related question - it appears that there are trial versions of MS Office pre-loaded. I have a copy of MS Office - Student & Home, and can legally install it on 1 more machine. Can I simply use the key for that? By the way, what happens to the 'other' versions of Office on the machine? Do they 'go away' when the trial runs out or must they be removed?

In case you are wondering, the computer hasn't been out of the box yet - too much work to do. I am resisting the temptation until Easter.

:thanks for any advice.
Michael

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Yep, remove the lot!

SP8's
21-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Don't use MSSE + Avast .... they may conflict. MSSE is probably the best of the free AV's and quite a bit better than Avast at present.

utopian201
21-04-2011, 11:14 AM
No, as far as I am aware, HP Business notebooks are not preloaded with software like HP Consumer notebooks.

They give you the Windows 7 install disc + a disc of extras so if you want the preloaded software (eg drive guard etc), you can choose to install it if you want. If worst comes to worst, you can just install a clean copy of windows.

Alex B
21-04-2011, 11:28 AM
No, as far as I am aware, HP Business notebooks are not preloaded with software like HP Consumer notebooks.

They give you the Windows 7 install disc + a disc of extras so if you want the preloaded software (eg drive guard etc), you can choose to install it if you want. If worst comes to worst, you can just install a clean copy of windows.

They are preloaded like the consumer ones - just with more business orientated crap you don't need. But yes, best bet is to clean install using the cd's it came with.

MPG
21-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all,

Yes, I did know about MSSE + Avast. Obviously I need another coffee! I have just checked the bag of goodies and there a 2 discs for Wndows 7 Prof (32 & 64-bit). I see that they both say "Contains software and drivers already installed. For software reinstallation and repair only". I take it that the operating system is preloaded.

The 3rd disc says "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" and has the same statement as above. I take it that all the software is preloaded, including a lot of junk.

Guess I will find out over the weekend. May resort to a clean install.

Thanks again! :clap

21-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I have a copy of MS Office - Student & Home, and can legally install it on 1 more machine.

Only if you have a multi-license copy, not OEM copy
Just saying as many wrongly assume Office can allways be installed on Laptop + PC .

Some of the HP pre-installed software will be needed on the Laptop .
Dont just remove the lot. The problem is trying to find whats needed & what isnt.
Its a disgrace the amount of crap pre-loaded on brand PC's. Why have Trial Office AND Free office alternatives pre-installed. Why have a trial version of Norton when there are BETTER free alternatives. Many home users simply dont realise Norton will expire in 60 days & have shown themslves to be not trustworthworthy of your credit card details (and been fined in the US because of this)

A re-image sometimes loads all the crap again anyway (part of the disk image)

gary67
21-04-2011, 12:34 PM
What I do is either reinstall from scratch or if no disc I remove all the crap then take an image of the HDD and store it on my server

user
21-04-2011, 12:36 PM
The other versions of Office remain. I had to remove my old copy of Office 2003 when I installed 2007 as they conflicted. I could use 2003 OK but when I tried to use 2007, it went through a lengthy reinstall process before it started up. This was only resolved when I removed the older version.

utopian201
21-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Also post your opinions of your notebook; you are probably one of the few who have actually have an HP Business notebook so are qualified to give an opinion on it.

I'd say Probooks are better than the average Asus/Consumer HP/Dell.

Alex B
21-04-2011, 01:58 PM
They are great machines. I have an i7 ProBook 6550b, build quality is great. When I was fixing HP gear they hardly ever broke. (the odd keyboard or hdd)

leonidas5
21-04-2011, 02:50 PM
If you look at this article and suggested software, it may do what you want. I haven't used it, but some other members of the Forum may have.

http://www.emergingtechs.com/posts/how-to-automatically-remove-preloaded-software-from-a-new-computer/

And go to http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ for latest version.