PDA

View Full Version : How did that get in my luggage?

Snorkbox
20-04-2011, 07:47 PM
You have to wonder about the quality of public servants sometimes.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/family-public-servant-in-drug-bust-desperate-help-4134365?ref=rss

wainuitech
20-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Gullible I'd say :groan:

Own Fault - "If found guilty, she faces up to 15 years in prison" IF ? yeah right.

Lets see the Maori's who jump up and down over nothing and go on about "their" rights get her out of this one.

I know lots of Maori people and most are disgusted with some of the carrying on that happens, gives them a bad name.

lakewoodlady
20-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Always a worry when you're traveling. Keep luggage in eyesight AT ALL TIMES! Be very aware if some stranger asks you to carry something for them. (even if you think you know them.) She must have been love struck when she chose not to be aware!

LL

Snorkbox
20-04-2011, 08:43 PM
The worry for me is if she can't be trusted to make appropriate decisions and she used to advise Government then what sort of advice is the Goverment basing their decisions on?

The fact she happens to be Maori in this case should not matter.

You don't get to vote public servants out either.

SP8's
21-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Schapelle Corby all over again ... wonder whether Argentinean jails are any better than the ones in Bali ??

pctek
21-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Half wit. Some guy she hasn't met, oh can you stop in a different country and collect my item.
Why doesn't he get it shipped?
Why didn't she read the customs notice - they're the same everywhere - is it your bag, did you pack it yourself.

Idiot. Brainless. Moron.
I have a swamp I'd like to sell her.

johcar
21-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Schapelle Corby all over again ... wonder whether Argentinean jails are any better than the ones in Bali ??

I hope not...

prefect
21-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I simply dont believe the story that she had no inkling she was carrying contraband.
Either way she deserves a good 15 years in an Argie jail to deter others.
Lucky she wasnt going into a country like North Vietnam where she would have been filled with 7.62 x 39mm holes

Terry Porritt
21-04-2011, 02:01 PM
The reported details running up to the affair are very sketchy, and don't relate at all with being caught with a suitcase having 5kg of coke in a false bottom.

She said she was to collect documents for a bloke. How did the documents become a suitcase ?
If it was her suitcase, then she took it with her knowing it had a false bottom.

If it was not her suitcase, then it would seem she was tempted by some quick easy money. 5kg of coke is not a weight that could be easily overlooked.

Now she is claiming to be be just a silly "old" lady (at 54).

Bearing in mind she was a probation officer for 8 years, a former colleague said "You don't work with criminals and be gullible after all those years".

It will be interesting to hear details of who she met in Argentina, and how she came to be carrying that suitcase.

Bobh
21-04-2011, 02:24 PM
She could well have learned a few tricks while a Probation Officer. She was given a free air ticket by a man she hardly knew. It is a wonder that she did not refuse to pick up the document folder in Buenos Aires. An expensive mistake on her part. I would wonder why the document fold could not have been couriered.

I have no sympathy for drug couriers but every incident deserves to be fully investigated.

mikebartnz
21-04-2011, 09:54 PM
. I would wonder why the document fold could not have been couriered.
The document was being muled which is basically the same as couriered.:D

Billy T
21-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Ahh....Let me see now...

Cost of diverting from a NZ-UK flight to go via Argentina instead, including cancellation and rebooking fees, extra flight costs, accommodation etc; say, $NZ2500 or more perhaps, VS urgent courier Argentina-London for 5kG parcel, let's be generous, say $NZ500.

$500 vs $2500?

Lovelorn bloke must be thick, but she must be thicker. Either that or she was a willing courier.

She will get what she deserves, whether adjudged to be downright stupid, or guilty of drug smuggling as charged.

They walk amongst us..........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

R2x1
22-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Actually, one of them is not walking among us; she's relatively immobile and she's with them . . . ;)

Snorkbox
23-04-2011, 12:03 PM
She apparently was carrying four drivers licences too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/4919995/The-case-against-cocaine-accused

johcar
23-04-2011, 12:12 PM
She apparently was carrying four drivers licences too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/4919995/The-case-against-cocaine-accused

From the article:

An Argentinian official said Ms Armstrong was travelling with only one suitcase when she was arrested. The suitcase was made by Rosenthal, an Argentinian luggage company. It is understood it contained women's clothing.

So where was her own luggage that she travelled from NZ with???? Does that imply that she was must have been given/supplied a new/replacement suitcase by the person she picked up the "documents" from?

EDIT: We must remember that this is from Stuff - not always the most accurate of news sites....

Cato
23-04-2011, 12:12 PM
How much does a kilo of coke go for these days?

Edit: According to this (http://www.economist.com/node/9414607?story_id=9414607) a gram of coke is 714.30$ (USD) in NZ (article is 4 years old), so she had give or take 3.6+ million...

johcar
23-04-2011, 12:14 PM
More than she would earn in a year as "a contractor at Wellington Maori education and language company Haemata"....

WalOne
23-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I wonder if she developed a fetish for wearing silk under garments, and needed the money to pay for her addiction

johcar
23-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I wonder if she developed a fetish for wearing silk under garments, and needed the money to pay for her addiction

A simpler solution for that would have to become a politician...

Cicero
23-04-2011, 02:21 PM
A simpler solution for that would have to become a politician...

Ah yes, I remember him, I bet he is still on the gravy train, having learned the ropes in parliament.

johcar
23-04-2011, 05:46 PM
You could be right Cic, looks like he's still (maybe) on the gravy train, and suspected of misdeeds (http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/payments-tuku-morgan-raised-parliament-120282) (link to NBR to an article dated 19/03/2010).

He even has his own Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuku_Morgan) page - although it's pretty light on content, much like the man himself!

wmoore
23-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Ahh....Let me see now...

Cost of diverting from a NZ-UK flight to go via Argentina instead, including cancellation and rebooking fees, extra flight costs, accommodation etc; say, $NZ2500 or more perhaps, VS urgent courier Argentina-London for 5kG parcel, let's be generous, say $NZ500.

$500 vs $2500?

Lovelorn bloke must be thick, but she must be thicker. Either that or she was a willing courier.

She will get what she deserves, whether adjudged to be downright stupid, or guilty of drug smuggling as charged.

They walk amongst us..........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

From NZH

"She was going to fly directly to London from Australia and then he called her and needed her to pick something up for him in Argentina. So he paid for the change in the ticket and she went via Argentina, picked up whatever it was, and then was detained at the airport."

Billy T
24-04-2011, 07:58 PM
"She was going to fly directly to London from Australia and then he called her and needed her to pick something up for him in Argentina. So he paid for the change in the ticket and she went via Argentina, picked up whatever it was, and then was detained at the airport."

Don't see your point really, My comment simply related to the relative cost of couriering the "parcel", whatever form it took, as opposed to changing flights along with all the attendant costs of accommodation etc. Surely she would have wondered why she needed to go to Argentina when there were plenty of cheaper options, and lover-boy wasn't going to be there either.

She is either thick as two short planks, or was wool-blinded by "love", while he was a skilled manipulator and was using her as a mule. Either way, she is probably going to wear the consequences and have plenty of time "on holiday' in Argentina to regret it, unless our government bails her out!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wmoore
24-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Don't see your point really, My comment simply related to the relative cost of couriering the "parcel", whatever form it took, as opposed to changing flights along with all the attendant costs of accommodation etc. Surely she would have wondered why she needed to go to Argentina when there were plenty of cheaper options, and lover-boy wasn't going to be there either.

She is either thick as two short planks, or was wool-blinded by "love", while he was a skilled manipulator and was using her as a mule. Either way, she is probably going to wear the consequences and have plenty of time "on holiday' in Argentina to regret it, unless our government bails her out!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I guess my point was that he was paying for the flight and costs to Argentina. And if she was so in love with him, a free fight to Argentina
wouldn't in her mind raise any doubts. We don't know what story he told her about the suitcase etc.

johcar
25-04-2011, 09:27 AM
So much in love that she was carrying 4 driver's licences? Hard to explain that one away....

R2x1
25-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Perhaps her Iwi was the Ngati Akas?