PDA

View Full Version : My Cousin Cathy In New Jersey -------

SurferJoe46
20-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Sent me a real letter - by postal carrier and with a stamp and all!

She had a few memories of the Italian relatives on my mom's side of the family. My Uncles all married Sicilian women and all the uncles are dead now years ahead of their spouses.

Anyway - she had sent me some reminiscences and I sent her these in reply and every one of them is true and from the heart::::::

You forgot my Aunt Evie's electric light-up blown-glass roses on top of the television set in the parlor --- and the oil-on-velvet painting of Jesus whose eyes followed you around the room.
~~~
And Uncle Tony who could cut a nine-inch single layer cake into 48 pieces using a tomato can that had both ends removed and a filet knife.
~~~
Or Great Aunt Retta who had two pairs of knitting needles stuck in the hair bun on the back of her head.
~~~
How about Uncle Valentino who always had those black patent leather penny loafer shoes with quarters in them and wore his belt buckle on the right side of his waistband on his A-1 Pegger slacks he bought from Robert Hall?
~~~
I also remember Aunt Carolyn who used boiled sugar to stiffen her crinolines before her dates with 'future' Uncle Ollie. He was doomed from the start.
~~~
At Great Aunt Jewel's funeral, when all the family throws something of value into the coffin before it gets closed, and not to be outdone by the relatives on the 'other' side of the family - Uncle Charlie throws in a check for $1,000,000.00
~~~
And Gramma Isabella who on Sunday dinner with about a hundred relatives at the table, takes all the kids into the pantry and tells them: "If you kids don't take any chicken when it comes around and just say: 'No thank-you, Gramma; I don't want any chicken' - then there'll be enough for the grown-ups. And if you do that, there'll be a big surprise for you all at dessert time. OK?"

"Yeah" we all said thinking of what a great dessert we're gonna have.

So there was enough for all the adults to have all the chicken they wanted.

Then Gramma comes out and says: "Now - all you kids who didn't eat any of my famous chicken, don't get no dessert".

She did that every year for as long as I can remember.

lakewoodlady
20-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Sent me a real letter - by postal carrier and with a stamp and all!

She had a few memories of the Italian relatives on my mom's side of the family. My Uncles all married Sicilian women and all the uncles are dead now years ahead of their spouses.

Anyway - she had sent me some reminiscences and I sent her these in reply and every one of them is true and from the heart::::::

Good one SJ!

LL

R2x1
20-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Damn! Are we related?

Snorkbox
20-04-2011, 08:06 PM
So much for the Uncles. Now which one was your Godfather??? :)

SurferJoe46
21-04-2011, 02:56 AM
So much for the Uncles. Now which one was your Godfather??? :)

We called him: G'ampa Batchagalupe. He was always quiet and sat at the outer circle of the family - until the food or wine was being served.

He actually taught me how to cook Melanzane parmigiano - or eggplant parmigiano - a food set for even the Gambiano famiglia.

And ::: If you like my food, you automatically become a puoi diventare un membro della famiglia.

If you no like my food you become qualcuno che sta dormendo con i pesci.