PDA

View Full Version : Link Aggregation

nedkelly
19-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know if any of the windows Server operating systems (Windows Home server included) support Link Aggregation?

Snorkbox
19-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Not natively as far as I am aware.

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2011, 09:04 PM
According to Wikipedia

Note that Microsoft Windows does not natively support link aggregation (at least up to Windows Server 2008). However, some manufacturers provide software for aggregation on their multiport NICs at the device-driver layer.

Intel, for example, has released a package for Windows called Advanced Networking Services (ANS) to bind Intel Fast Ethernet and Gigabit cards.

Nvidia also supports "teaming" with their Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall Tool. HP also has a very robust teaming tool for HP branded NICs which will allow for non-etherchanneled NIC teaming or which will also support several modes of etherchannel (port aggregation) including 802.3ad with LACP.

Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, OpenSolaris, Citrix XenServer, VMware ESX, and commercial Unix distributions such as AIX implement Ethernet bonding (trunking) at a higher level, and can hence deal with NICs from different manufacturers or drivers, as long as the NIC is supported by the kernel.

nedkelly
19-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh ok, so either I use windows and dont get Link Aggregation or I use linux and dont get Raid5.
Hmm think im going windows and will just not bother with Link Aggregation, for now.

hueybot3000
19-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Im guessing your not using a hardware raid?

nedkelly
19-04-2011, 11:47 PM
i will be using hardware raid, the manual says raid 5 is only supported under windows

:pf1mobmini:

hueybot3000
20-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Hmm, I read up a bit and it seems that linux will support Raid 5. In fact I have a mate who runs a file server with raid 5, I would guess if thats possible then so is whatever your trying to do. The support is definitely there in linux as far as I am aware.

There must be a linux guru around to confirm

Erayd
20-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Hmm, I read up a bit and it seems that linux will support Raid 5. In fact I have a mate who runs a file server with raid 5, I would guess if thats possible then so is whatever your trying to do. The support is definitely there in linux as far as I am aware.

There must be a linux guru around to confirmLinux itself certainly supports RAID5, but the OP has stated he's using a hardware controller. This means that support for RAID5 on this controller depends on the driver involved.

The OP's manual states that RAID5 is *not* supported under Linux, however such statements are often incorrect, out of date, or simply mean that the vendor does not provide technical support for such a configuration.

Nedkelly: What is the exact model of your RAID controller?

Edit: I assume you already realise this, but just in case - note that link aggregation / bonding requires support for this on the switch as well, not just on the server (which means you can't just use a 'dumb' switch and expect it to work properly).

hueybot3000
20-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Ah, I just assumed that hardware controllers would have the suitable drivers for a linux based operating system. Silly me!

Have a look around for hacked drivers for your model. I'm sure there is someone with the same model needing linux drivers

Erayd
20-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Have a look around for hacked drivers for your model. I'm sure there is someone with the same model needing linux driversIn almost all instances, the best drivers will end up in the mainline kernel - so using a sufficiently new kernel should be all that's required (current versions are 2.6.38.3 / 2.6.39-rc4). Searching for a 'hacked driver' for such a critical feature is usually not a smart idea.

If RAID5 on this controller is possible under Linux, then it's most likely already in the kernel (unless it's a *very* new model, in which case it may take a release or two to show up).

nedkelly
20-04-2011, 03:53 PM
The raid controller is part of the motherboard I am using, and the manual says Raid 5 is only supported under Windows

Erayd
20-04-2011, 06:53 PM
...the manual says Raid 5 is only supported under WindowsWe established that much earlier, but unfortunately you haven't really answered the question ;).

Could you please post the *exact* model of your RAID controller (or if you don't know how to find that, the model of the motherboard will do).

nedkelly
20-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Supermicro X7SPA-H