PDA

View Full Version : Apple suing Samsung for copying them

Tukapa
19-04-2011, 05:26 PM
See here;

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/apple-sues-samsung-over-galaxy-slavishly-copying-products-aw-91154

What a joke - let's patent some shapes.

I wonder what shape phones and tablets should be now - and what shape icons need to be to satisfy Jobs & Co.

kenj
19-04-2011, 05:45 PM
They got that one wrong!

My Samsung phone is 4inches wide by 2inches high.

Those apple things are 4inches high and 2 inches wide!

Totally different!

Ken :blush:

icow
19-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Well cadbury copyrighted purple so I'm not supprised.

Cato
19-04-2011, 06:50 PM
This is good. Apple will have their ass handed to them.

plod
19-04-2011, 07:29 PM
It's simple math, apple sues samsung, samsung pay apple. apple get their chips and screens ultra cheap through samsung:thumbs: apple want samsung to subsidize parts.

plod
19-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Microsoft patented the word windows
Yellowpages did the same with yellow
The list goes on with silly patents.

R2x1
19-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Orchardists should sue the Mac-a-demons for stealing a symbol that was once highly regarded as representing goodness and nutrition, plus a healthy lifestyle.

Now, it merely represents the house brand of the new-age equivalent of button-makers to the Emperors New Tailor.
No wonder Pizza is more popular than apple pie.

waldok
19-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Heh, just to clarify ... :)

Trademark protects a brand, e.g., Windows for an operating system but not for your house windows, Yellow for a phone directory but not for the colour of the sun, Apple for a computer but not for a fruit from your garden.

Copyright protects creative works, e.g., a book, a song, a painting, a newspaper article, the composition of a photo. Copyright can be layered - so if you take a creative photo of your uncle's painting and your sister writes a poem on the printout then all three of you could have a bit of copyright in the bit you did.

Patents protect inventions - that is, ideas that are new, non-obvious, useful in product or process, and described in enough detail so anyone can carry them out. But it excludes scientific discoveries. A bit like copyright, patents tend to build on each other in layers, so most companies cross-licence. In the US they also have design patents which are a slightly different concept.

Trade secrets protect secrets. Well, they don't need that much protection as long as they're secret but it's a very important intellectual property tool in the business world!

Just saying ... these cases make more sense if you keep this in mind!

cheers
W

plod
19-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Heh, just to clarify ... :)

Trademark protects a brand, e.g., Windows for an operating system but not for your house windows, Yellow for a phone directory but not for the colour of the sun, Apple for a computer but not for a fruit from your garden.

Copyright protects creative works, e.g., a book, a song, a painting, a newspaper article, the composition of a photo. Copyright can be layered - so if you take a creative photo of your uncle's painting and your sister writes a poem on the printout then all three of you could have a bit of copyright in the bit you did.

Patents protect inventions - that is, ideas that are new, non-obvious, useful in product or process, and described in enough detail so anyone can carry them out. But it excludes scientific discoveries. A bit like copyright, patents tend to build on each other in layers, so most companies cross-licence. In the US they also have design patents which are a slightly different concept.

Trade secrets protect secrets. Well, they don't need that much protection as long as they're secret but it's a very important intellectual property tool in the business world!

Just saying ... these cases make more sense if you keep this in mind!

cheers
W
We can always trust Mr MS to clarify things for us

paulw
19-04-2011, 08:42 PM
See here;

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/apple-sues-samsung-over-galaxy-slavishly-copying-products-aw-91154

I wonder what shape phones and tablets should be now - and what shape icons need to be to satisfy Jobs & Co.

One of the reasons I won't buy anything branded Apple. Hope they loose and Samsung pulls out of their chip supply agreement with Apple.. Guess Apple will be suing RIM and HP next for look alike tablets..

The Error Guy
19-04-2011, 09:40 PM
HP's iPaq has been aorund longer than iSlabs (I think) HP should get on the legal wagon :D

As for Apple, useless time wasting twats, oh fiddle de de! it has a rounded corner!!! wow oh wow. Guess what? the pixles in my phone a square... I guess apple copied that one too.

Seriously though, I mean, what can you REALLY do to completely alter a UI so that people don't scramble on the "it looks like an apple" bandwagon? Square icons in a grid arrangement is about as far as it goes, even WP7 uses squares

Digby
20-04-2011, 12:46 PM
That's why I am trying to patent the use of coffee to go in my patented Adkaf coffee mug holders.

Palo Alto invented the mouse. (which Apple always claim as theirs)

KarameaDave
20-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh! Didn't you all know? Uncle Stevie thought up and invented everything!
(Much like the former Soviet Union! :devil )

plod
20-04-2011, 05:01 PM
There wasn't a phone that looked or worked like the iPhone until the iPhone. Now how many clones are there?

There wasn't a Tablet that looked or worked like the iPad until the iPad. Now how many clones are there?

Above is a copy and paste from macrumors. I do beleave the above statements do hold some truth to it, enough to sue samsung over, I don't know.
And it would appear apple is samsungs second biggest client after sony.

paulw
20-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Have a look at this thread on GZ showing some of the fones that came out before the iPhone. Funny how the iPhone looks like some of these..

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=97&topicid=81854