PDA

View Full Version : Copying commercial video to PC.

Bryan
19-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a number of commercial videos (mainly musical) that I would like to copy onto my PC and then maybe preserve on DVD.

I know that there are outfits that can do this commercially but I would like to try this myself.

Using my video player, how can I capture the video say as an .avi file?

Can I use IMG and create an .iso file?

I really have no idea what to do.

Trev
19-04-2011, 09:49 AM
There are a few ways you can do this. One is to buy yourself a TV tuner card for your computer and connect your VCR to it by the RCA inputs on the card. Another way is to buy yourself a DVD/HD recorder which you connect to your TV and connect your VCR to that and record to the HD on it then burn to the DVD. I have used both methods, but do it via my TV using my DVD/HD recorder now. One slight problem you might have copying the tapes is the copy protection on them. Personally if I was you I would just go out and buy the DVDs as the quality is so far superior. BTW I have not copied commercial videos but videos I have recororded off TV many years ago.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2011, 09:51 AM
You need something like a capture card, or something that can capture video and sound. And hopefully, it comes with a program, so you can record it.

And it may also have an option, so you can burn it to DVD. Altho, if you use Vista or Windows 7, you can use Moviemaker (you'll have to download a separate MM for Windows 7). Since it doesnt have it

psycik
19-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with Trev. There was another chap that ran into the copy protection (macrovision) issue.

Far, far easier to replace your tapes with DVDs.

dugimodo
19-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Also as pointed out in that other thread this is not legal so it's unlikely to work on a commercial DVD recorder or the like, and many cpature cards also.

It's a case of try it and see, but it culd prove difficult.

Zippity
19-04-2011, 01:45 PM
It WILL work if you use the right freely available programmes and almost any decent capture card :)

DVD43 is a "god send".