PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Private Commuter Planes They Told Us About???

SurferJoe46
19-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I mean - in the late 1950s or so, they were envisioning that everyone would have a personal aircraft that could also turn into an automobile to get to and from work.

I never saw 'em - did any of youse guys? Imagine the aerial carnage - people cannot even drive in two dimensions without killing others and maiming themselves and/or their passengers now.

What would it be like having 'collisions' and 'fender-benders' in the sky? Think of the fall-out! Raining parts from cars and humans on your roof and front lawns does NOT paint a pretty picture.

Well - the prognosticators are at it again - this time it's 'ELECTRICALLY-POWERED AIRCRAFT' (http://www.smartplanet.com/technology/video/oncologists-use-robots-to-fight-cancer/6202367/) for the masses.

Uh huh - electricity is in short supply and getting shorter (thanks tree-huggers!) and then there's the mortuary business which may become our next national high yield business.

I think somebody in Congreff has a brother-in-law in the personal electric aircraft business and it's floundering at the moment.

Please - Upsidowners unite and keep us on the right road, even if it's on the left side!

Write to our senators/congressmen since they don't listen to US!

gary67
19-04-2011, 08:55 AM
No Joe you have it all wrong electric planes will draw their power from lightning strikes. To recharge your plane just fly it through a thunderstorm.

WalOne
19-04-2011, 11:19 AM
No Joe you have it all wrong electric planes will draw their power from lightning strikes. To recharge your plane just fly it through a thunderstorm.

Of necessity then, this will spawn a new technology ... the need to accurately forecast where lightning will provide a path that can be tapped.

I can think of such a person, of earthquake infamy, that we'd gladly export to the US. (No, youse guys up there aint not having our Wizard). :lol:

19-04-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.gizmag.com/flying-car-moller-terrafugia-parajet-skycar/15593/

where's my flying car ?? Come on moller, a bit faster please, still waiting...
the NZ govt gave some millions for the jetpack- did they not look at the history of these things ?? :banana

gary67
19-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Won't be any good for Rx though as his tinfoil hat will deflect the lightening thus stopping his plane from being recharged

Poppa John
19-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Joe...Have a look at the "Ornithopter" thread above. It is the prototype for your flying car!!!!! PJ :devil:lol:

R2x1
20-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Won't be any good for Rx though as his tinfoil hat will deflect the lightening thus stopping his plane from being recharged
You miss the purpose entirely, the foil hat deflects the lightning into the beer-cooler power supply. The overflow goes off to power the propulsion system; this is possible because I insist on double layer conical hats, which is leyden to the observation that blunt hats are inherently pointless.