PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

04-10-2001, 11:02 PM
We are looking to run 2 PC's and 2 laptops off a server. Landlord wants us to look at options other than running cables all over the place. The main use is for medical records. Is there any form of wireless system that we could use. We dont want to be twiddling fingers waiting for information to be transferred. The laptops are being used for space reasons in the consult rooms.

05-10-2001, 08:50 AM
I found this article which may be of use to you:

http://www.idg.net.nz/PCWorld/Reviews.nsf/UNID/9FD0B8841E6B17E7CC2569430016AEDC!opendocument

I beleive there is an article relating to you question in the latest copy of PC World too.

05-10-2001, 05:33 PM
They exist, they work, they are not cheap. But I suggest that you might have to look at some sort of enciphering ...you are putting the information through a radio transmitter.
People with similar wireless cards can receive your network packets. Medical records are meant to be confidential.
(They said cellular phones were untappable...).

27-11-2001, 10:06 AM
Wireless options can be started for NZ$2,764 for an access point and two PCI cards.
Connect the server directly to the access point and your away.
A PCMCIA card for the lappies would cost NZ$1,021.
Its plug and play but make sure you have the 128bit WEP encryption. You can have the access key changing every 10 minutes and attenuate the power to 1mW internal to the AP to minimise coverage.