PDA

View Full Version : Linux

04-10-2001, 09:03 PM
Where can I get linux from and how much is it?? Also, what programs would I need for internet and email?

04-10-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi Joe,
The popular sources of Linux can be sourced very cheaply from here. (Copy and paste into your address bar.) http://www.xsolutions.co.nz/linux/index.htm
If you are new to Linux like me, the best option is Mandrake 8.
I have dealt with Hamesh in the past and his service is excellent.
I paid $28.00 for 3 CDs (2x operating system and 1 extra programs such as Star Office etc.)The same in a retail shop will cost between $100-$275 depending where you go and what you buy.
Linux comes with a couple of email programs and web browsers as part of the package although I installed Netscape 6.01 from the PC World cover magazine. Linux, judging by the postings here lately, seems to be picking up in popularity so give it a go.
Good Luck
Billy

04-10-2001, 09:34 PM
You can download it from a distribution's web site, such as http://www.mandrake.com. However, its large size makes this prohibitive for most people.

It would be easier to buy a CD, and there are two ways of doing this:
- A boxed set, costing around $80 - $200
- A direct copy, costing ~$20
The advantage with the boxed set is that you get manuals and technical support. To get a boxed set, visit your local computer store (including Dick Smith). To get a direct copy, try http://www.copyleft.co.nz or you may be able to get one off the cover of a magazine. Just remember that it's really important to get a late version, so that you get the best possible hardware support.

The mainstream Internet software for Linux is:
- WWW: Netscape, Mozilla or Opera.
- Email: Huge range of options. I use Spruce.
- Newsgroups: SLRN, TIN, XRN, Pan.
- FTP: Again, a huge range of options. I think lftp is the best, but is is a commandline solution.

Good luck.

04-10-2001, 09:48 PM
Make sure you check the hardware support before you start installing. Available at the homepage of your chosen distrobution (I also recomend mandrake 8).

You don't have to have perfect hardware support, support for my hardware isn't very good but its still my main OS.

The bigest problem will be you modem, almost every internal PCI modem made in the last 3 years is a winmodem (nasty software based POS). There is some support (try www.linmodem.org).

05-10-2001, 07:17 AM
Linux seems to be all about users trying out different versions, then they found all versions are much the same.
I went to SuSE version. Version 7.3 will be out in a couple of weeks,so you can go for that or maybe get 7.2 a bit cheaper

My SuSE 6.4 would read the windows partitions from icons on the desktop from when you install SuSE, so to can copy paste and, files easy, were as with Redhat and Mandrake you have to get technical and found out for yourself how to do it.

Some say that Linux with go on a old 386, but that is the Text version like DOS, most graphical needs a pentium, the Linux version of windows is KDE desktop.

With SuSE their is a Email group you can join you will get about 100 E-mails a day so help will be fast coming As far as I know Mandrake has this and maybe Redhat

05-10-2001, 12:47 PM
check out a site I found to be really good:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org
It explains some of Linux's many distributions, but bext of all, it has 'NHF's' - Newbieized Help Files, which are very helpful indeed.

As for my personal choice, I've always used Redhat, from version 5 up until having downloaded 7.1 not so long ago - and it's obvious by the many questions I've asked on here.

Hope you enjoy Linux, don't give up, because it's a lot of fun and there is much to learn if you give it time.

Cheers,
Jonathan

05-10-2001, 02:13 PM
If Linux is only intended for 'fun', no wonder it is such a load of rubbish.

It needs to be practical if everyone is going to take it serious.

05-10-2001, 04:19 PM
I got RH7.1 on two CDs which were in the cover set of an Australian magazine. I got Slackware on a cover CD of an English computer magazine about 1993 or 4. Try your Public Library: many of the Linux books come with a CD with the system on it. Try one of these. Be prepared to install a few times. One of the older ones will (because smaller) load faster. When you have got a feel for it, then load one of the new bells and whistles versions. All distributions come with the HOWTO files, in a form (usually HTML now, readable with the browser you have) on your present system. RTFM.
Read all of them. They are not like commercial manuals; they are the results of experience of knowledgable people who have been there and done it. Check the hardware HOWTO. If they say to avoid particular equipment, avoid it. If they can't make it go, you can't. The current (7.1) RedHat has a HOWTO about LinModem, and attempts to make the internal WIN modems work... I think most would suggest using an external modem still. They have the advantage that they work.
But the main thing is that once you have made it go, you will know how it works. It is not easy. The size of the books about the 'userfriendly intuitive' Microsoft stuff shows that they are not easy either.

05-10-2001, 07:05 PM
Just be wary that many USB modems are actually soft-modems as well, so your only really safe bet is a serial external (or an ISA if you are lucky enough to still have ISA slots).