PDA

View Full Version : Which brand ?

globe
16-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I realise this is a bit of a controversial statement but i'm going to buy a machine from harvey norman or noel leeming this weekend to take advantage of their 4 years interest free deal.

In terms of laptops which is recommended brand between what they stock - acer, toshiba or samsung or are they all much of a muchness ? I'm only wanting to spend 1700-1800 or so and only really use the machine for internet, email, itunes, bit of photoshop and the odd excel/word now and again. Don't really game any more but wouldn't mind if i can squeeze it into my budget.

Or (the $6m question) would a desktop be better ? I like the idea of a laptop and being aboe to use anywhere in the house as we don't have a great deal of room and it'd be nice to lose the computer desk.

any thoughts are most welcome, thanks

Richardd150
16-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I got a Toshiba Satellite p300 (pspcca-oc201y) 500gb hd, video 512mb ATI (discrete) and quality inbuilt speakers from HN 18 months ago - cost around 1800. I've played Far cry 2, Neverwinter nights 2 and mass effect all at good settings on it. For your 1800 now I'd expect you'd get quite a bit better unit. I'd recommend Toshiba as this one hasn't missed a beat - only drawback is it's quite large laptop and gets used more as a second desktop.

I've used it for everything else on your list except photoshop.

Having said all that, I'd go for a desktop unless mobility is very important to you, you get more for your money - get a pretty good desktop for 1800.

Cheers.

Richardd150
16-04-2011, 09:02 AM
link to the spec - better than my memory
http://www.mytoshiba.co.nz/products/notebooks/satellite/p300/pspcca-0c201y/specifications

DeSade
16-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Toshiba would always be my first choice in a laptop followed by ASUS.
When I brought the last laptop I went ASUS as I could not afford the Toshiba.

pctek
16-04-2011, 01:03 PM
ASUS, Toshiba.

bevy121
16-04-2011, 01:04 PM
From no deposit. Minimum purchase $1100. $48 establishment fee and $48 annual fee apply.

so for 4 years = $220

and they do it for 50 months not 48, so if it goes into the 49'th month
(which most do 'cause people usualy just let HN work out the repayments period),
well there's another $48

...making the hp deal an actual cost of $268

hardly much advantage in that "interest free" deal I think

don't know what Noel Leeming deals are like

pctek
16-04-2011, 03:25 PM
hardly much advantage in that "interest free" deal I think

Interest free isn't. Do you think the finance companies volunteer to not make any money for a time? Or the shop decides to pay it instead.
It's added to the original price.

bevy121
16-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm quite aware of that - I was merely pointing it out.

...and actually, because of the way Hire Purchase works with huge benefits to the retailer (shop) - thats exactly how it used to be at many places... no interest meant exactly that - you paid the "ticket price" over a period of time with no extra cost

they "covered" it themselves, because the benefit of claiming depreciation on goods they still own for the duration of the interest free term is worth much more

PinoyKiw
16-04-2011, 09:31 PM
My neice just went and bought a Toshiba C660 from Dick Smith on sale for $800.

Windows 7 Prem, 2gb of ram, another $50 and she could have doubled the ram, installation offers 32 or 64bit, 320gb HD.

I have just finished removing all the crap off it and done a bit of a speed test transferring and coverting 132 Nikon Raw files and it is flying.

Of course, I don't know what sort of deal Dick Smith would do for you in regards to hire purchase.

Maybe Harveys or NL also that model.

icow
16-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I'd go Asus or Toshiba, maybe sony (they're a bit pricey though).

Check this:http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

WayneMiddy
17-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Don't believe there is any such thing as an interest fee deal these days, when you can walk in to any store and bargin a discount off the retail price off anything. Ask them for there best price for cash then pay for it with your visa card or better still get a bank loan i bet you will be better off in the long run. BTW Bond & Bond are doing 20% off PC & Laptops this weekend.

fnphoto
17-04-2011, 01:28 PM
1.Toshiba 2.ASUS 3. Macbook Pro or 4. Don't bother for a lappy - go for a custom desktop PC