PDA

View Full Version : Laptop doesn't always connect to wireless

Mike
15-04-2011, 05:40 PM
My friend has a laptop (Asus I think?) that sometimes won't connect to wireless (hers and mine)... sometimes this lasts for a week or two, then it just decides to reconnect. If I go and reset the connection info it'll connect again, but if we just leave it sometimes it'll just reconnect after a week or two. Any ideas? I'll try to get more info about the laptop etc. next time I see her.

Mike.

wainuitech
15-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Two things come to mind.

Sometimes the security is to high, and for some reasons beyond clear explanation they don't connect.
The SSID (name) of the network is not a common name is it -- it may be looking for the network name, and if its the wrong network, but the same name, the password wont be the same. Hence it may reconnect when the new info is entered
:2cents:

Agent_24
15-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Upgrade the drivers, I had numerous problems with an Atheros card in my Toshiba P35 because the drivers were 6 years out of date.

linw
15-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Upgrade the drivers, I had numerous problems with an Atheros card in my Toshiba P35 because the drivers were 6 years out of date.

Same with me on Realtek NIC's. Can't do any harm to check dvr updates.

Mike
16-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Two things come to mind.

Sometimes the security is to high, and for some reasons beyond clear explanation they don't connect.
The SSID (name) of the network is not a common name is it -- it may be looking for the network name, and if its the wrong network, but the same name, the password wont be the same. Hence it may reconnect when the new info is entered

:2cents:Security settings too high? Sounds a bit odd to me. Are you saying I should use wpa instead of wpa2 or something like that?

SSID names aren't common, and its happening on both my network and hers, with different SSID names. I will try making the names even less common, but I'm fairly sure that's not it :)

Upgrade the drivers, I had numerous problems with an Atheros card in my Toshiba P35 because the drivers were 6 years out of date.I'll try the drivers and see how we get on. Unfortunately it could take a week or two for it to stop working again, so not sure how soon I'll know if it works :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Agent_24
16-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Security set too high was actually one of the 'problems' with my old drivers.

Networks that used WPA2 would show up as WPA or sometimes even WEP - even though the hardware fully supports WPA2 - and often wouldn't connect.

After updating the drivers, everything has been working fine.

I would advise finding the model of your friends WiFi and then getting drivers direct from the manufacturer if you can. Asus will have drivers but they may likely be outdated, and may be what's already installed.

If you can't figure out where to get the drivers, just post the model of the laptop or WiFi card here...

wainuitech
16-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Security settings too high? Sounds a bit odd to me. Are you saying I should use wpa instead of wpa2 or something like that?

What I was referring to is answered by Agent. Some devices have problems if the security is to high, others dont.

What I was referring to re the SSID name, for example I often go to peoples places and when trying to connect to the wireless, there may be two Belikn connections, or two Netgear showing in the available networks - its easy enough to figure out whos who, as the strongest one will be the local one, where as the other may be the next door neighbors.
So I change the name of the local one.

Mike
23-04-2011, 03:02 PM
OK I think I've figured what the problem is, but not entirely sure how to fix it.

Laptop is an Asus Pro55 running Vista HP.

Router is a Thomson TG585 v8 that Telecom hand out when you sign up with them. It's not overly configurable from what I can see, and admin pages are Telecom branded. The router DHCP is turned on, with IP range 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.253, with router on 192.168.1.254
When I set the laptop to automatically obtain IP it connects to the router via wireless no problem, but it gets an IP in the range 169.x.x.x, I can connect to the router admin etc., but can't connect to the internet. If I manually set the IP address in the router range it connects fine, and connects to the internet. However it won't connect on other wireless networks that use a different IP range (mine for example uses the 10.1.1.x range). The laptop when set to automatic IP is now connecting fine to mine, and others but not to the Thomson one.

I've currently got it set to auto IP, but with alternative in the router range, which appears to be working, however it takes AGES to connect initially.

Any ideas on why the auto IP assigning is putting it in a different IP range? Is there anything else I can do to make it work properly?

Thanks,
Mike.

Agent_24
23-04-2011, 03:15 PM
When a DHCP server fails, APIPA allocates addresses in the private range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254.

It's not the router allocation that address, it's Windows itself.

I doubt the DHCP on the router is defective, it could well be a mis-configured firewall that is stopping it from working on the laptop.

Mike
23-04-2011, 04:56 PM
OK thanks, I didn't know that :) I turned off Windows firewall (couldn't find any other firewall on the PC) but still uses the 169.x range. I'll see if I can get hold of another laptop (I don't have one) to try on her router and see what happens with that, but yeah I think you're probably right, there's something on the laptop stopping it from working.

Mike.

Agent_24
23-04-2011, 06:04 PM
A bad firewall is probably not the only thing that can cause that problem though. I only said that as I have had that problem in the past because of a firewall.