PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing HDD Win98

04-10-2001, 07:59 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the settings in file system properties, ie when you go> right click my computer/perfomance/file system/hardrive there is a choice of desktop computer,network server, mobile or docking system.

I remember reading somewhere that 'network server' gave the best perfomance. Is this true?

I have read ahead optimization set to full, but I don't really know if this is the best.

04-10-2001, 08:22 PM
I read somewhere too that said having it set on network server was best but I don't know how much diff it makes.

Also I think having the read ahead set to full is best.

04-10-2001, 08:29 PM
As usual the names are meaningless (win98 as a server?).

The setting affects how much memory windows uses for caching stuff. Mobile being the least, Server being the most.

If you have lots of ram ( >128) set it to server. With less ram you won't gain much. It may slow stuff down if it uses too much ram.

04-10-2001, 09:00 PM
If you have lots of RAM (128mb or more) then setting to Network Server supposedly optimizes Windows to use your RAM more efficiently and a swap file less or not at all.
However, can you put 'Windows' and 'efficient' in the same sentence? :)

I have mine set to Network Server, and have noticed no change in performance yet.

Read ahead set to full is right.

05-10-2001, 06:32 AM
Thanks---I think...what's wrong with 98, when you haven't tried anything better, you don't know what you are missing. -- Is there something better?