PDA

View Full Version : Shonky trader?

bones
14-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Opinions wanted please. I recently bought 2 desktop systems about a week apart off the same dealer. One for my son, one for my daughter. Both were purchased specifying Windows 7 32bit edition. I can't see any sticker with a product key on either system. The activation code was supplied via email by the dealer. The code for both systems is the same. Does this sound right or am I right in being a bit suspect about it?

DeSade
14-04-2011, 10:47 PM
The key for windows should be unique for each machine.

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Soon find out, both will say they're not genuine. Sooner, or later

CYaBro
14-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Name and shame!
Are these custom built systems or name brand?
You should have got original win7 DVDs with each system if they are oem/ custom built.

:pf1mobmini:

WarNox
14-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Windows lets you activate the same edition more than once, even OEM. I know XP did it up to 5 times but you had to call MS after that and do the phone activation.

I would say he is doing something dodgy. Either he found a volume license key or as above he's just using the same key a few times. He could have also hacked the OS and not installed the KB which checks for it.

If you really want to know, download and install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033
NOTE: If your windows is not legit this will mark it as such and might disable some features.

It's a Microsoft KB hated by most of the world but you might find it useful :)

pctek
15-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I recently bought 2 desktop systems about a week apart off the same dealer. I can't see any sticker with a product key on either system. The activation code was supplied via email by the dealer.

Most certainly illegal.
Get your money back. He should have provided not only the stickers with COA but also the CDs, driver CDs as well etc.

Probably came with a bullshit 1 year warranty too?

Terry Porritt
15-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Are MS still offering $5000 reward for dobbing in illegal traders ?

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/piracy/report/default.mspx

Agent_24
15-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Probably came with a bullshit 1 year warranty too?

Probably comes with a "Warranty? What warranty? F**k off!"

DeSade
15-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Message him and tell him unless he makes a FULL refund (including shipping) you will report him to Trademe, the Police, and Microsoft.

One of those should get his attention.

And then report him to all three anyway after you have got your investment back.

pctek
15-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Probably comes with a "Warranty? What warranty? F**k off!"

:D