PDA

View Full Version : Error Msg Rebooting

04-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Having tried to reboot my computer I got the following error msg. 'CMOS checksum error-Defaults loaded' Using the Del option I entered my Standard CMOS Set up to find my Primary Master setting had changed and reverted to 0 in all sections (I had previously recorded my settings for future reference hence I knew categorically that they had somehow changed). I tried to manually re-enter the correct data but the system would not allow me to do so. I backed out to the boot up screen and chose F1 which started the computer ok. Has anyone any ideas as to what happened and why I lost all my original settings?
When the rebooting process occurred I received a msg to say a hardware device was unknown and then it found my printer and assigned a port. I am using Windows98SE. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

04-10-2001, 07:24 PM
Theres probably quite a few reasons why but Ill start with this one..Whats the state of your Batterys..There will be a battery on or attached to your motherboard to keep the clock and cmos settings in tact when your computer is unplugged. If your machine is more than 3years old this may be failing and require replacing.

==Orac==

04-10-2001, 08:53 PM
I agree, I think it could possibly be the battery. I've seen this message many times, and every time its been because of a flat battery. Replaced or added new battery, and no more probs.

But, of course, it could be something totally different :(

04-10-2001, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys. I had my suspicions. i had recently replaced the battery on the motherboard but I guess it is a dud and I will need to do it again.

05-10-2001, 04:37 PM
I don't like the look of the battery clips for the coin shaped lithium batts. The battery might be OK, just a bad contact.

05-10-2001, 04:49 PM
Thank you Graham. I will look at the battery contacts before I decide to replace the battery yet again.