PDA

View Full Version : Modern v. Old Anti-virus software

04-10-2001, 03:54 PM
My system has the old Norton anti-virus 4.1. This still works fine (I assume, its never had a virus to deal with yet). I am thinking of upgrading to the latest version Norton's anti-virus software (2002). But I was wondering: apart from all the new flashy bits, whistles and bells etc - does new anti-virus software do the basic, or core task, of finding and stopping viruses any better than older software like I have got? Is the upgrade worth the money?

04-10-2001, 04:37 PM
It does the job just as well as an old one, as far as I'm aware. The thing is, the up-to-date virus definitions that you'd need to keep getting to keep up with the play may not work on an older virus checker (this happened to me a few years back when Symantec released Norton Antivirus with a new virus search engine, and I couldn't get the latest definitions). Also, the new virus checkers may also be able to search in ways different to the older ones, so may find some of the newer viruses easier than an older one.

04-10-2001, 04:48 PM
Norton has add few new features such as the ability to scan incomming emails, automatically update virus definitions when connected to the internet, script blocking (to detect 'I love you bug'), macro viruses, etc.

By upgrading you also get another years free liveupdates, and support for the new Windows XP.

For a full list of features go to
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/features.html

05-10-2001, 12:25 AM
I've been using Nortons AV 4.0 for 3 years now (came with PC Direct system) & have never had to pay for extra virus definitions. It just keeps on updating the latest definitions via Live Update!
Personally I don't see a need to shell out extra $$$.

05-10-2001, 12:25 AM
I have used AVG ANTI VIRUS free edition for about four years until recently when I
purchased their PRO EDITION.
They offer to send email notice when a new virus or variation is found and you can download from the web address they give on the email . I have only had two viruses come in that time and AVG warned me before they got into my system.Their address is
www.grisoft.com if you are interested.
Regards Don Mac